I have noticed that a large segment of the gay community has a very different view of child abuse then the mainstream public. has anyone ese noticed this?

I notice from gay coworkers that quite a few gay men think that the relationship between teen boys and older men is acceptable. It sort of teaches the young ones "the ropes" and lets the older ones act as a caretaker. Now I guess, as long as everyone is over 18, thats fine, but it seems to me that many of the gay men I work with don't cut quite as solid a line on this age. Personally, I think its is a very abusive paradigm for a relationship. One partner depending on the other like a child on a parent or mentor. Have others noticed this? Do you think its OK, as that community might have their own customs?

martine1778

Asked by martine1778 at 5:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think you are bit confused from  what you said these gay men are not just homosexuals but pedophiles, and there is a big difference!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 5:39 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• to me it doesnt matter as long as they are both adults. same goes for straight men and women and lesbians. Why is it ok for older men to date younger girls? or ok for a woman to be a "cougar" but not ok for gay men to do it?
    Anonymous

• A couple of co workers does not in any way classify as a large segment, I have been dealing with homosexuals most of my life, and I have never seen this.

Answer by older at 5:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I'm a bit confused by your question. A lot of what you're describing is pedophilia, not necessarily homosexuality.

And I've seen plenty of straight single parents leaning on their oldest/only children in place of a spouse as well. It's not necessarily a sexual thing in this regard, but it is inappropriate even though I wouldn't go so far as to call it abusive. The two can be different, the two can be the same. It depends entirely on the individuals involved.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I haven't noticed that around here.

...but I agree that older folks and minors dating is bad news.
    Anonymous

• I imagine that it's no different than when 25 year old men 'date' 16 and 17 year old girls.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• ^^ Which is NOT ok, but it happens a lot^^
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Uhhh, I think that is a bit of a jump there. I have met several "men" who think its okay to have relationships with teen girls because "love knows no age (yeah, whatever). Personally the people I know in the homosexual community do not advocate statutory rape. Don't make generalizations about the homosexual community simply based of the opinions of the coworkers you know.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think you're stereotyping, and in a pretty despicable and horrendous way.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I agree that you are stereotyping in a horrible way. I am an adult straight woman. I am attracted to adult men. Just because young boys will one day be men does NOT mean that I am attracted to them as well. Homosexuality and Pedophilia are two VERY VERY VERY different things!
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2011