Weaning from shield

My 3 week old does not like to nurse without the nipple shield. We started using it in the NICU because he got a bottle before breast, and was initially tube fed via nasogastric tube. He does really well with the shield. He can nurse without it, but does not latch right, and lets go a lot.

Any suggestions to get him to stop depending on this thing??

mistical_me

Asked by mistical_me at 5:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No advice, but I'll bump ya!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• you might try asking in the breastfeeding group here (look under green groups tab) or talk to a lactation consultant. I'll bump you too............
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Gen

Answer by Gen at 7:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• you could try talking to your local breastfeeding consultant they can show you some way to get him to latch with out it.. Good Luck
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 8:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• This may sound so stupid.. but I am gonna ask... what is a nipple shield?
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 9:19 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Aw girl, I've been there! My DS was considered a premie, but they took him off the chart at about a month :) Okay so what you wanna do is let him latch on using the shield and let him nurse for awhile, they in the middle of the feeding...say after about 4-5 mins or so, break the latch and let him back on the breast. If he fusses, give him back the shield. It's best to try this when they aren't starving...so after they've nursed for awhile or at a time when they just want to comfort-suck. My DS finally got the hang of it :)

Also...be warned that if they are on the shield too long it WILL hurt your supply. The shield doesn't give enough stimulation. Good luck! You guys will be doing great in no time :)
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Thanks everyone!!!
    mistical_me

Comment by mistical_me (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Jun. 18, 2011