What are your thoughts on teen curfew law?

Because of recent increase in crime our city is debating on pushing for a teen curfew law. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• If parents kept up with where their children were and made sure they were home at night, there would be no need for curfew laws. It's a shame that they are necessary, but if it's what it takes to protect the citizenry, then that's the way it has to be.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• i agree with older..its a great idea. i'd fully support it.
    and for teens who work past that hour, they could always prove employment. most likely, they wouldn't get pulled over for being out past-curfew, unless they were driving wrong.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think it is a great idea, if will help parents control those teens.

Answer by older at 6:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I appreciate it, although it isn't included in the area where I live (a suburb of the big city where it is a law). I got off work late one day last week so I had to go to a open 24 hour restaurant to get my husband dinner. It was packed. Because of all the teens. 1:00am, why are teens still out eating at restaurants? I know school is out now, but damn.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• and for teens who work past that hour, they could always prove employment. most likely, they wouldn't get pulled over for being out past-curfew, unless they were driving wrong.

The way it worked where I grew up, employers weren't allowed to work you past curfew, because there are different labor laws for under 16 than over. But, once you were old enough to drive, you were exempt, so for anyone who would be driving home after hours, it wouldn't be an issue anyway.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:20 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Our state has had teen curfew laws for a long time. It was midnight. I hated it when I was a teen but I think its a great idea. Unless the teen is working or there is a serious emergency, they have no reason to be out late.
    sparkles1986315

Answer by sparkles1986315 at 6:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• What time is it? And what about teens who work? When I was a teenager, I used to work as late as 2 am in the summer.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• 10pm. They haven't got all the details right now, it is ongoing........
    Some people are not happy about it
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I disagree with it. I don't believe in victimless crimes.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 6:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Nothing wrong with it. If they can't follow a rule that simple, there are bigger issues that need addressed. As for "victimless", those laws don't catch kids doing nothing - the ones who are sober are smart enough to be at someone's house with some form of transportation home later. The ones who got caught were the ones too drunk or stoned to know better. It's not rocket science.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2011