What do i do when one breast is lactating alot, an the other one, hardly has anything at all comming out?

The left one is gettin bout 3oz out, an the right one is only gettin about half an ounce out...what am i suppose to do??!!

Amber1491

Asked by Amber1491 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Very normal. Most women have one breast that produces more milk than the other. My right side was always better than my left. You can start your baby on the side that doesn't make as much, and that may help to make more (or even them out, if the other one gets bigger faster, LOL).
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I have the same problem when pumping. I get about 3x as much out of the right side as I do the left...funny thing is though that my son gulp gulp gulps on the left side but hates nursing on the right. I guess my left responds better to a baby and the right responds better to a pump.

Every woman makes more milk on one side. It's like being right or left handed.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• If you are pumping, then pump twice as long on the low one. If you are breastfeeding, always start with the low one, until things even out.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I had the same problem. The lactation consultant told me to start nursing on the one producing the least amount because the baby nurses more actively at the beginning.
    sparkles1986315

Answer by sparkles1986315 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• i was the same way
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 6:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Mines are the same way! The one thats lactating more is larger too. My daughter would cry when I tried to feed from the smaller breast. So im guessing thats why one of breast is larger than the other.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 9:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2011