Pulled over for going to slow?

I was with DH last night and he was trying to fix my car on the side of the road. Anyway. a cop pulled out behind him. No biggie... doing nothing wrong. He did however make sure he was going the speed limit. 55. We the cop finally pulls DH over and ask him why he was going 12 miles under the speed limit in the passing lane. DH said he was going 55 which he thought was the speed limit. The cop tells him it is 65 not 55 (which actually he was wring the limit goes up a little further down the road) Dh apologized anyway. Then the cop inquires as to why he was in the passing lane. Dh tells him that he was turning a mile down the road to get to my car so he was in that lane to turn left. The cop says nothing then tells DH well your gas door is open did you know...' Dh said no and asked if the cop wanted him to get out and fix it. The cop said he did so DH fixed the gas door and then the cop told him to get back int he car he could go...??? WTH happened there?lol. No ticket or warnings or anything. I mean there was no reason really... It just seemed odd... the whole thing... What do you think?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 6:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Just for Fun

• usually when people are going too slow, a lot of times it means they're intoxicated...same with people who don't have their headlights on in the dark...it's just a red flag to cops. We were on vacation in So. Cal in Newport Beach..well, it was me my sister and my friend and I had forgotten to turn my headlights on AND we were going slow just looking at all the houses...he asked me if I was drinking. lol! I've never even tasted alcohol...but anyhow, that's why they usually question people.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• He wanted to make sure your hubby was sober. With the slow speed and the gas cap, it starts looking suspicious.

It's all okay, though . . you can't get in trouble unless you are doing something wrong.

I've been pulled over before because of that, too. just a check-in.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• The first Mommy is so right. Going to slow is a red flag and looks suspicious especially at night.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Going slow at night is a red flag for drunk driving especially at night. Or high! So the cop was doing right by pulling him over.

As for quotas - as the mother of an officer - that's department to department, but most do NOT have quotas.
    Anonymous

• Aside from the red flags - driving slow in the passing lane is a safety hazard and you can be ticketed for it, no different than speeding. That's why the interstates have the minimum speed posted right on the signs - off them, the range varies by state/county.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• It could have been that the officer thought he might need help.

Answer by Bmat at 7:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I've been pulled over for that too! lol
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 8:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• red flag as others said b/c of drunk driving or could be someone looking for drugs/dealer
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 2:08 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• – collapse
    cops have a quota for each month. they have to pull over a certain number of people and give them reasons as to why they pulled them over, otherwise they could not legally pull them over. for each vehicle they have paperwork to fill out which includes the reason(s) why
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 (hidden) + expand