How do you deal with being around your kids 24/7 and not go crazy?

I have one DD and she is right under a year old. I fee like a horrible mom, because sometimes I just want to snap. I am already depressed because of financial problems and relationship problems. I don't want to take it out on her. Anyone else have this problem or am I just a horrible mom? I have never hurt her nor do I ever want to. I just need an outlet for all this stress and anger. I need to reroute it before I do yell and scream in front of her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• First off I do not think that you are a horrible Mom. I have 3 soon to be 4 and I can count on one hand how many time I have left them in their lives. And 3 of those times were hospital visits. Sometimes we need breaks though there is nothing wrong with that. I just find an outlet something that I really enjoy, such as painting and then include them in it in some way. I will sit down to do my project and have them do theirs. It is something that always makes me feel better. Also reading after bed time is also a time for me, or a bath or something like that.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• It is hard to be at home 24/7..No matter what anyone says...Every mother needs their "Me time" You need to take some time alone. Even if its just a relaxing bath at bedtime. Or listening to some calming music in a dark room...Its ok to be frustrated. you have alot going on..theres lots of things to help you calm down..You just need to figure out what works for you.
    kirasmommy7

Answer by kirasmommy7 at 7:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• It doesn't make you a bad mom for needing some time to yourself! Making sure that your own needs are taken care of makes you a better parent.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 7:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I know exactly how you feel. I've been a stay at home for 4 years and my daughter drives me crazy sometimes. I get frustrated, lonely and I use to feel like an awful mother. I dont think that you are a horrible mom. Some women seem to think that if you want to take even 10 minutes to yourself that you are a bad mom but everyone needs some time for just them. My theory is that you can not and will not be a good parent if you dont take care of yourself too and get some "me time". My escape is reading. It relaxes me and takes me to another place and it gives me a break from reality and all things that are going on in my life that are bad. Take some time when she takes a nap or goes to bed and do something just for yourself or get a sitter and go out or just do something at home that'll let you drift away for awhile where you dont have to think about money or relationship issues.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 8:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I'm a SAHM with three kids- at times I have definitely felt like I am about to lose it (not so much anymore, but now that two are school age there is less on my plate on a daily basis.) All I can say is to realize you're normal, it's okay to feel stress. Try to pinpoint the situations that make you feel frazzled. For me it's being cooped up inside with the kids all day. I know, for me, I will have a better day if we go out and do something, even if it's just a trip to the park or to the mall or to run errands. Make sure you get a little bit of 'me time' sometimes... even if it's not until she is in bed. And you know what helps me when I'm very frazzled? I try to just have quiet time with them, to lay and cuddle them, or to watch them while they sleep... that always helps me to reconnect and remember how lucky I am to have them. ((HUGS)) and hope things improve soon!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I can't imagine having just one kid. That would drive me nuts. It's bad enough only my 5yo and 11mo are home during the day. When the baby naps the 5yo drives me insane because she's bored and there's no one to play with so she annoys me all day long. I have 5 kids so when they are on my last nerve I send them all outside to play. It was a lot harder when they were babies (the first 3 are each a year apart). It's much easier now that they are older. Right now the 11yo, 8yo and 5yo are outside playing in the sprinkler with their friend. The 9yo is at the park playing ball with some friends and the baby is watching the girls play. Other than the noise the girls are making it's pretty quiet.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• when she naps take the phone off the hook and just have some down time,doing what you want.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 12:43 AM on Jun. 18, 2011