What is the difference between Catholic and Christian?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• There's not. Catholicism is just another flavor of Christianity, same as Baptist or Methodist.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 6:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Catholicism is a sect within Christianity or in other words a form of Christianity.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Catholics are Christians, but not all Christians are Catholic.

i think you're trying to ask whats the difference between Catholics & Protestants.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Their net worth.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Well on your details it asks your religion and there is both Christian and Catholic. I went to a Catholic school and was baptised but I thought I was called a Christian...I no longer go to church but I used to which one would I be considered?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• It depends. Do you still feel close to the Catholic Church you can be a non-practicing Catholic- or you can be Christian. It's about your feelings and you beliefs.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• It depends on what you believe. If you don't attend mass and don't go to confession, I would probably just claim to be a christian. How about this, when you are on your deathbed, do you want your Last Rites?
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 7:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Catholics are Christians ;)

There are differences between Catholics, Protestants, and Orthodox Christians - and there are also differences between different kinds of Protestants.

Basically, though, the big ones are that only Catholicism recognizes the pope, and Protestant denominations tend to not focus on saints or on Mary as much as the Catholic Church does, as well as most Protestant churches only claiming two to five sacraments, while Catholicism claims 7. Protestants tend to stress "Sola Scriptura" (the scripture alone), while Catholicism relies more on tradition, from what I understand, as well.

Here's a chart : http://christianityinview.com/comparison.html
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Christian is a more broad term while Catholic is a specific denomination. The reason it is listed on surveys as opposed to some others is due to it's "popularity" or number of members being so large whereas other specific denominations tend to be smaller.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2011