• In the Spotlight:

Nap time has turned to scream time

My son is almost one year old and typically takes two short naps a day w/o much trouble. This past week or two, naps have become impossible. I've tried putting him down at every point in his sleepiness (just getting tired to exhausted), read to him, held him and tried to make the whole experience pleasant. But, he will cry and scream hysterically. I've tried letting him cry it out for up to an hour hoping he'll just poop out and fall asleep and it doesn't work. I go back in and comfort him for a couple of minutes and leave and that doesn't work. Could he be suffering from separation anxiety or just getting to the age where he doesn't want to nap? HELP!!! Any other suggestions that may help or reasons he may be doing this?

have2travel

Asked by have2travel at 2:43 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like you need to transition to 1 nap a day. My LO did that. And even with one nap, every couple of months, his nap gets later. I started off at 11am and is now at 12:30 to 1.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 2:54 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• He is no where near dropping his naps. Kids start dropping all naps closer to 3 and some as late as 5. The best naptime changes a lot, which is why many parents think the child doesn't want to nap at all when it's really just that the child doesn't want to nap at that same old time anymore

He may very well be dropping to one nap AND protesting the interruption to his play. My daughter was never a good napper as a baby. I tried everything. This is what finally worked: To start with, I slowly made the morning nap time later, dropped the afternoon nap, and moved bedtime up an hour. I put her in her crib at naptime and left. An hour later I went back and got her up if she was still awake or left her sleeping if she was asleep. If she didn't sleep, I kept her up for about an hour and tried again, leaving her for an hour again. Usually, she was very ready for a nap at that point.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Also, remember, they still need the same overall amount of sleep; they just aren't taking it in 3 blocks anymore, just 2. Over a several months, I was able to push her naptime back to 11:30 and her bedtime back to 6:30. At about 2, I was able to move her naptime to noon and her bedtime to 7:15. She sleeps until about 6:45 in the morning. She is also finally willingly taking a nap most days. After 2 years of "I don't want to nap" screams, she now naps fairly happily. Knock-on-wood.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:10 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My daughter is 17 months and is refusing to nap, so good luck!
    alalsip

Answer by alalsip at 4:35 PM on Dec. 12, 2008