What do you do/ think when you see someone with a basket full of junk pay with their food stamps card?

I am on them and so are a lot of people in my area. I see all the time people piling their baskets with crap and while I think it would be better for them to use them for healthier foods, I have gotten to the point where I am just glad mom is not selling them for drugs and that the kids are being fed something. Maybe that just says something bad about my community that this happens so much (my neighbor who just moved in asked if I wanted to buy her food stamps ($500 on the card) for $200).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• I don't pay attention to what people buy or how they pay for their food.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• What I want to know is why people are so close to the people in front of them that they can actually see what the person is paying with? When the person in front of me is paying I give them some privacy and let them pay their bill. there is no reason for me to know their total or what they are paying with. No excuses.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:15 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I mind my own business
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• it's really none of your business how they are paying for there food
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 7:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I've never paid enough attention to see if someone is using an EBT card or a debit card. I really don't care. Using food stamps or not, no child should be fed crap. Just because someone can pay for it themselves doesn't make them a better person for feeding their family nothing but garbage.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I know, just let people be and get a life.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 7:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• In the store I go to, I think it's because all the debit card pads are all tilted but you can see, again I don't really care but sometimes I do notice.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I have not ever seen anyone pay with foodstamps and I don't really pay attention to what other people are buying.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• That's why I put my produce on top of the junk food in my cart. And when putting it on the belt, I put it on last and spread it out all over. So if there is someone judgmental behind me, they'll think I'm only or mostly buying produce.
    Anonymous

• i like to think they are still getting something at least somewat healthy for themselves or their kids to eat. i dont pay attention too much much i think its normal for people to have snacking foods, especially for kids they needs little "treats" like pudding,applesause,goldfish or even juice or an occacial pop because thats the way things are these days and they will try it eventually but its our job as parents to help them know self control and to only indulge in alittle at a time. and hopefully they will be able to take that to school,friends houses and wherever and make healthy choices and maybe others will learn from them.
    mommy52011

Answer by mommy52011 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2011