Albuterol for 2 year old...

My son just got back from the ER and we were sent home with an Albuterol inhaler. We're supposed to give him two sprays every 4 hours, but he just turns his head and screams and I'm not strong enough to hold him down. I have no access to other adults. Suggestions? Ideas? HELP!!

ACL2007

Asked by ACL2007 at 7:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had to lay my daughter down and sit on her, of course not squishing her.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Many time, the pharmacy will have something called "aerochamber" for the little ones. It has a little mask that covers the nose and mouth, so that the babe will actually breathe in the meds. call your pharmacy and ask about it, if that sounds like it will help. Another option would be to either wait until sleep and disperse or just pump it in the mouth awake and hope that some gets in. even a little is better than nothing. You just have to be careful about the eyes with the babe moving all around.

Ahh that is so hard.

You can always give a page to the ped, too, for help and suggestions. If the breathing problem is really bad, there are actually oral meds that can be taken, as well.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:37 PM on Jun. 17, 2011