S/O of a S/O

"I think homosexuality is a sin. In fact everyone who is a Christian must consider it a sin. You don't get to chose which parts of Christianity you pick."

So, if someone who professes their faith in christianity, were to accept homosexuality as a simple fact of humanity, would that make them any less a christian?

If so, what does that make them?

If you don't get to choose what parts you pick, then how do you feel about forces prostitution, slavery, infanticide, genocide, rape, human sacrifice, animal sacrifice, ritual genital mutilation, violence against women?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 8:07 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Religious Debate

• no, it wouldn't.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Im not christian or any religion for that matter. but I think that you shouldn't be judging anyone even if they don't follow the religion the way it should be. That makes you less of a christian if thats how you want to put it. I am sorry if I offend anyone. but I always seem to come across this. Christians talk a lot of crap about EVERYONE and they act like they are all high and mighty. I apologize to the ones that do not actually do this but again I am sorry but most of you do. This is why I do not call my christian becuz I don't want to judge other people. You guys are the bullies, not gays, and other people who don't believe. You guys are. Leave people alone with religion.
    Hapsand123

Answer by Hapsand123 at 8:15 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Directed at the quote itself, not OP : It's not about picking or choosing which parts we like, it's about believing that the Bible doesn't say that to begin with, based on the original language and tradition, etc. It's rejecting one interpretation, not the faith itself, in favor of a more *accurate* one.

So, of course, I don't believe those of us who accept homosexuality are any less Christian - in fact, I would argue that those who use religion to put up boundaries, enforce an exclusive "us vs them" mentality (etc) seem to be less in tune with the message and nature of Jesus, since he worked so hard to tear down boundaries and abolish "us vs them" ways of thought, while widening the circle of inclusion in terms of who we are meant to care about and love unconditionally. But even so, I would *never* call someone's Christian identity into question. So I don't understand where people think they have any room to question mine.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:15 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Oh and im not referring to the list you have at the bottom im mainly talking about the other main paragraph.
    Hapsand123

Answer by Hapsand123 at 8:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• well seeing as im a Christian who (a) doesnt believe the Bible is suppose to be taken 100% literally & (b) doesnt believe the Bible is the perfect unaltered word of God...im not "picking & choosing". as a Christian who follows Christ (who never said anything about homosexuality) i find it laughable that the words of Paul have become so much more important to what a Christian "really is" than the command of Jesus to love everyone as you love yourself. & dont start w/ that tired "love the sinner, hate the sin" line cause we all know thats bull.

in fact i find it far more "unChristianly" for those who take the Bible as literal God-spoken truth to focus more on homosexuality than the sins of adultery, lying, & greed which are FAR more prevalent & destructive in our world today than any imagined gay-agenda threat. how 2 ppl being in love has garnered so much hate & attention from those who claim Christ is beyond me!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• sorry...ranted a bit. what it makes them...

it makes them Christians who can see past the cultural aspects of the Bible times & put things into context instead of just flat out believing its all black & white.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• okmanders ... I think I want to give you a hug! Well said Madam, well said!!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I "could" re-spin it and say- its my belief in the word and life of Jesus that drives my belief that we are all equal, we should love all that do no harm and that since we are made in the image of God, He is fine with homosexuality- and if you believe otherwise you are defying His word- but I am not so arrogant as to say who is and is not the true Christian so I will refrain- ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My question to the person making the statement the OP quoted would be this: why don't I get to pick and choose? You seem to think you're able to pick and choose, what other reason could there possibly be for so many damned denominations. I guess you can only pick and choose things from a certain list that is acceptable to Bible Thumpers... otherwise your choice as a Christian is limited?

And as Christian who supports gay rights, I don't think that makes me less of a Christian, it makes me a better Christian. I accept all humans and love them all for who they are. That, and I'm obviously not gutter-minded and obsessed with the sex part of a homosexual relationship....
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• awe thanks SpiritedWitch!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2011