How does this work? (long) adult content

There are several Christian universities of differing denominations near us. They all have strict moral codes, some more stringent than others, but generally speaking, no drinking, drugs, sex, etc. Some have dress codes - ties for male students and dresses or skirts for women. In other words, these are schools MORE conservative than the mainstream.

One of them recently made the news. It's one of the 4 Mennonite colleges in the country, and has always had a policy of not playing the National Anthem at games. They rescinded it last year, despite it not coinciding with their beliefs, and after a year, decided to go back to not playing it, and finding something better suited to the school. This somehow got twisted by the media into it being banned for promoting violence.  (That's a Fox link, but all the networks picked it up and ran with it, feel free to Google if you can't handle that source).  People all over the net, including CM, are frothing at the mouth about these evil, horrible "liberal" colleges corrupting our youth.

Thing is, this is not a "liberal" college.  It's ultra-conservative.  The only group more conservative than Mennonites are Amish, and this is technically an "Anabaptist Mennonite Institution", and (as mentioned in that first link) "Goshen College has been and remains a ministry of Mennonite Church USA".  And I say this knowing multiple people who have been alumni and faculty - it's not Berkley by any stretch of the imagination.

So with that in mind - what's with all this moral outrage from hard core Christians (the majority of the complainers identify as such, and in the case of the CM post, are known to have repeadedly identify as such in the past) directed at a church institution that is actually more conservative than their own?  Is it like a circle, once someone goes past them on the scale, they're automatically thrown to the other end?  How does being MORE conservative than someone make something liberal?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Bottom line ... they take the stories the media feeds them as fact and do not bother to look beyond the sensationalism. The news media said it, so it must be true! They wouldn't lie to us!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think too many Christians associate Americanism with Christian culture. My Pastor has said that he believes American Christians are more American than they are Christian.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I love your DIY TMI flags, but I went ahead and added a real one for you :p
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Do you think these people actually CHECK their sources to find out about the schools before posting, No they just hear a story and run with it, and if you heard it over in the PC&E section no explanation is necessary as several women are always over there frothing at the mouth ready to bash anything that doesn't fit into their preconceived notion of "American" and label it as "liberal" regardless of whether there is any fact to it or not. I recall a huge uproar about a "public" elementary school "teaching homosexuality" that created a huge uproar and it turns out to be not only a private school but one of a Christian denomination (though not a well known denomination).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:16 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• NP I think the only ones that Understand Goshen College are the ones that know them. Unfortunately it's us here near them. They are extremely conservative, and very religious. Not at all in any way against America. They enjoy their freedom of religion and understand that here they can have this freedom. Also they are so morally conservative they even make me look liberal. Wow we must live closer to each other them I thought. On A good day I can take CR 20 and get to Goshen In about 20 mins.
    daps

Answer by daps at 5:56 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Difference in doctrinal believes
    Jeelly

Answer by Jeelly at 9:45 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I think most people haven't even READ the article. Overall, it's not JUST christians that do this....people just don't get alot of the facts and details needed before they start screaming out about something. We really need to get OUT of the habit of taking everything the media says at face value and running with it. It's getting ridiculous and today, you cannot depend on our media.
    It says the national anthem doesn't fit with their pacifist values...that the national anthem contains themes of war and military and since pacifists believe that disputes between countries etc, can and should be settled peacefully, then I can understand why they have chose as they have.
    When I heard it over the news the first time, it had a very negative tone to it and it made people angry. I think that's on purpose. When I read article myself .I completely understand and it's THEIR choice! Mennonites & Amish do not support violence.

KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 10:00 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• It gets ratings, so of course its going to be put in the media like that...

...if they actually reported the news, no one would watch it, and they couldn't make any money from advertising.

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 10:11 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking

Thanks! ...and your welcome!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2011