She only eats carrots, grapes, & cheese :( How long do I wait???

My 2 1/2 year old DD is going through a finicky eating stage.

She only eats carrots, grapes, and cheese, she also drinks 2% milk.

How long until I need to worry about malnutrition?

superclutz

Asked by superclutz at 8:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Both my kids have gone thru food phases, in my experience and observation, its pretty normal.  If she's eating cheese and drinking milk (would she go for Carnation instant breakfast stuff in her milk? maybe not...might be too ice cream-flavorish), then I wouldn't worry about the protein--dairy products contain plenty.  If you are worried about it, this will tell you how much protein she needs, and you can check the labels of what she is eating and drinking with the milk and cheese to calculate how much she is getting. 

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 11:54 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• she's getting fruits, veggies and dairy!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 8:24 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Some kids go through that. If you are very concerned you can talk to your ped about it but I really think it's normal.
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 8:22 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• and on the plus side she's lovin healthy food :)
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 8:23 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think it sounds pretty normal. But check with the pediatrician to be sure. Maybe you can suppement those with that health drink Ensure for toddlers.?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Kids go through that and it is usually ok. Does she take a multivitamin? She's probably fine, but obviously, check with your pediatrician if you're super worried just to ease your mind.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 8:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• You have a couple of years! Give her a multivitamin daily and wait it out.
    If you want to be more pro-active, here are some suggestions.
    1. remove all sugar and processed foods from her diet. It sounds like she is eating healthy foods - does she ever eat cookies, suckers, candy or soda? If so, eliminate them.
    2. Establish and maintain regular meal and snack times. Her body will adjust and she will feel hungry at mealtimes, if she is not permitted to snack any time she wants.
    3. Provide plenty of physical exercise. If she is not playing outside, running around and riding a tricycle, then she truly might not be hungry. If she is not getting enough sunshine, she could be mildly depressed, which also affects hunger.
    4. Is she getting enough sleep? Most American children are not. Toddlers need 13-14 hours of sleep daily. Add up the hours she sleeps at naps and bedtime, and see if you need to adjust her schedule.
    Good luck
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 9:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Fruits, veggies and a source of protein via dairy...if you can get her to munch on some graham crackers or something, she'll have all her bases covered, lol!

Seriously though, that is pretty normal...and you should consider yourself lucky because its all pretty healthy...I would try to add in a multivitamin, but that is just me.

Something else to consider is keeping a chart with her. My daughter isn't picky, but she doesn't always like to try new things, so we use a chart for healthy foods and she gets a sticker for her chart.  She has to try one bite on at least 10 different occasions before she can say she doesn't like it, and doesn't have to try it anymore.

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:28 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Thanks everyone. Of course I am happy that she is loving healthy foods and I am not as worried as I would be if she was only eating french fries. She will try new foods, but only one bite, before she goes back to her beloved grapes, carrots, and cheese. She does not enjoy cake, candy, or even ice cream. (strange) She will eat other fruits and veggies at times but mainly sticks to her grapes and carrots.

I can't even get a multivitamin in her because the chewable ones taste like candy :(

She will eat a cookie, but would rather have her carrots, grapes, or cheese.

I just worry that she is missing out on protein.
    superclutz

Comment by superclutz (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Jun. 18, 2011