Celexa and getting pregnant

I plan on talking with my doctor at my next appointment about this but wanted others opinions and experiences while I am waiting. But I am currently taking celexa and my SO and I are trying to decide when we want to start trying for our last baby. I want to find out if it is safe to continue taking this medication while trying to get pregnant and if I should continue with it if I do get pregnant. I am hoping to not be on it for a long time but I have to get my uterus out soon and we want to try for one more before I have to do that. Opinions welcome and thanks..

angelmine2011

Asked by angelmine2011 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Taking any medication while pregnant may pose health risks to either the mom or the child. Celexa has caused some birth defects and miscarriages in rats. However, the decision to continue with the medication or not should be between you and your healthcare provider, as depression can also have adverse affects on the preborn child. If you are not yet pregnant, your focus might be on regaining your health - all of it - including your mental health. You might consider speaking with a counselor or therapist. You might learn some new ways to handle the stress in your life. You might also speak with a natural homeopathic provider,as there are herbal remedies for depression. Another thing you could try is to increase your daily walk to three miles a day. A daily walk (especially with a dog ) may alleviate or cure your depression, plus give you an easier pregnancy and delivery. Best wishes for you and your future child!
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 8:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• There are currently lawsuits for women that took Celexa while pregnant because it causes birth defects during pregnancy. Talk to your doctor before you do anything. Talk to a counselor to learn behavioral techniques to use while TTC and pregnant. Good luck, Mama!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Sometimes doctors think that everything is ok with a medication while pregnant and only years later when the damage is already done do they find out they are mistaken. Don't take anything unless you really have to. An antibiotic my mother took (safely the doctor said) while she was pregnant with me ruined my teeth. When my first teeth grew in, they were already decayed, which led to problems with my second teeth. They now know after all these years that it caused problems. Tetracycline babies they called us.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Thanks for the info. Does anyone have any experience with coming off an antidepressant? I do want to come off of it and I think I would be fine. I believe that my depression is postpartum along with finding out that by the time I am 30 I will no longer have a uterus or the ability to have more children. I am coming to terms with that slowly but I always planned to stop by the time I was 34. Stinking cervical cancer is a big dream killer. But at least I have my son and daughter and hopefully god willing one more to come. BTW I am only 28 soon to be 29. Kinda gotta work fast lol.
    angelmine2011

Comment by angelmine2011 (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2011