HOW DO U TEACH YOUR BABY HOW 2 USE THE POTTY?

POTTY TRAIN ONE YEAR OLD

Samirah1

Asked by Samirah1 at 3:00 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• one year old is to young.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 3:06 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• im not sure how my mom did it but she said i was potty train before i was one so its not 2 young 2 teach them
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Open door policy worked for me...my 28 month old is now poop-trained! Yay! I started by buying him a baby potty when he was 18 months, and then letting him run naked in our back yard over the summer. I always let him come in the bathroom when I was going so he'd know mama and dada do that! When he turned 2 I bought him a bunch of undies and took him potty every hour, and told him when he had an accident he needs to make sure he uses the potty and not his pants! He's even going through the night with no accidents, I'm so proud of him! Good luck, and don't get mad when there's poo and pee everywhere because it will happen!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:14 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• my son is 18months, i have gotten him pretty well potty trained . every morning he knows to walk out of the bedroom and go to his potty chair... because i made that a regular thing for him, also me, my mom, and husband take him to go potty every time we need to go, so we're doing it together... its funny to, when he hears you pee he will clap... and say good good... sometimes you have to make him sit there for a little while just in case....
    sexymommy87

Answer by sexymommy87 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• It's never to young to teach them IF you are willing to do most of the work and stick to a rigid schedule.. If you are expecting to fully train your child to stop playing when he has to go, go to the bathroom, work his own clothes, use the potty, flush, redo his clothes, wash his hands - then one is too young. All kids have to learn this eventually. Some just are taken to the potty by a parent on a set schedule long before they are able to take over for themselves. Which you do is up to you and both have merit and drawbacks.

I'd suggest getting a good potty training book that talks about the different methods and picking one that you think will work for your child and that you have the patience for. Do not belive the claims on the one-day or three-day methods. Those work for older children and still require months of follow up by the parents.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• 1 year is not too young.
    My DD1 was completely out of diapers by 18 months old. I introduced the toilet to her around 11 months, and actually started "training" around 15 months.

Keep in mind that training is not about training the child, but the parent. Learn the pee dance.

I don't believe in schedules. Children know when they need to pee. The clock on the wall isn't going to tell them that it's time.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 7:10 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Most children are potty trained between the ages of two and three. I bet if you polled moms here on CM you'd find the majority were not able to have their children trained until closer to age 3.
    The child has to be able to understand what his/her body is telling him/her, not like being wet/soiled, be able to stop what he/she's doing, get you to help, and then go use the toilet.
    Save yourself some time and frustration and wait until the child is older and is telling you that he/she is ready to learn to use the potty.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• twinclubmom - Oh PLEASE!!!
    We TEACH children to soil diapers!! A child can learn from day 1 to use a toilet! Why do you think infants cry when their diapers are wet?!
    And a one year old is perfectly capable of stopping what it is doing, getting mommy to help, and to use the toilet.
    Why frustrate yourself with changing the diaper of a child who is speaking in complete and coherent sentences?
    Gosh, when I had my second daughter, and my DD1 was curious about diapers, we allowed her to try one, I couldn't believe how demeaning it was for her to lay down, spread her legs, and be treated like a baby at 2 1/2 years old! Thanks, but I'll continue to go through the few months it takes to learn the pee dance to have my children out of diapers before they're ready for preschool!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 9:24 PM on Dec. 12, 2008