Is getting a C-Section scary?

Hi, FTM here... And I'm down right petrified of a C-Section birth, I've never been in an OR, I've never had an overnight stay in a hospital.... I've never even broken a bone. I like to think I can handle the pain of a vaginal birth, but if things go south, how scary is it to be told you need a C-Section? Was it scary for you? Did you register fear or did you just register "this is what's best for my baby" (or something to that effect)?

(Also, why is it "when/if things go south"... Maybe its because I prefer warm weather, but I would prefer to go south than north, geographically speaking.)

M.Galvan

Asked by M.Galvan at 8:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I was scared, but no more scared than I was of labor and vaginal delivery. In fact, i was probably less scared because I have had surgery twice before. Obviously, things can go wrong, and people do have bad experiences with them, but things can go wrong with either type of delivery and those scenarios are the exception, not the norm. Honestly, a C-section happens so fast, and once the baby is out, you forget why you were so scared in the first place. Hopefully you won't need one, but if you do, really isn't that bad at all.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 9:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Kind of depends on how u feel about it when u get into the surgery room i went through it twice so it wasn't so bad for my first time but when i went in the second time i was more nervous than the 1st.....
    taratennant60

Answer by taratennant60 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• It wasn't any scarier than labor. I had two scheduled csections after having 3 vaginal births and I'll take the csection anyday!

Answer by missanc at 8:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I wasn't scared at all but I was in labor for 23 hours before I had the C-section. I was just glad to be delivering the baby. Everyone I know that has had C-sections, weren't scared, more nervous but all wanted the same end result...a healthy baby.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I had three c-sections--all planned. My first baby was just too big for me to have and by c-section she came. I was very nervous about the first one. Like you, I had never had even a minor surgery, let alone a major surgery like a c-section. I was most nervous about the spinal block. The thought of a needle in my spine just gave me the creeps. But I got through it. I didn't feel any pain--or anything for that matter--during my c-section. Just laid back and waited on my baby.

I was less nervous about the second and third births because I knew what to expect. Don't worry too much, you'll do just fine. The doctors and nurses will tell you what you need to do and then they'll take care of the rest!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 8:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• i was scared during my first, unplanned c-section. like you, i had never seen an OR or had any surgery before. i had to have one because my baby was too big, but i did try to have her vaginally first. my body wouldn't dilate enough for her to come that way though. it was scary because of my condition already going in, first, my epidural had worn off almost completely and i felt everything. second, i lost an alarming amount of blood. when i came out of the OR i looked like a ghost. my baby ended up being 10 pounds. when i got pregnant again, this time the c-section was scheduled. but all i had to relate it to was my first horrifying experience. so for 9 months i built up anxiety about it, but it was honestly a piece of cake compared to the first, and i had a spinal so i didnt' feel a thing. even the recovery was easier.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• It depends on your frame of mind. Yes it's surgery and a major one at that. But my baby needed to come out and fast so I went ahead and got the c-section. I wasn't scared at all. I would do anything for my child. Anyway, I trust my OB. He doesn't do c-sections whenever, only when they are needed. C-section is probably the most common surgery around. Think of it like flying. Every day hundreds of planes take off and land without incident. It's those rare times when a plane crashes that you hear about it on the news. Same thing. Hundreds of c-sections are done without incident and the only time you hear about them, is when they go wrong. So relax. If you get one it will be because your baby NEEDS to be delivered immediately. Chances are good yours will be one that is not newsworthy, if you even end up needing one.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• how many c section did u have i had 2?
    taratennant60

Answer by taratennant60 at 9:07 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I just had one a month ago. Yes very scary and like you I hate surgery. I'd only ever been in the OR once before for a DNC. First time I've been cut on though and I was terrified. Not gonna lie, it wasn't easy for me. But DH was there to support me through it.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:20 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I was no where near scared.. Had a feeling the whole pregnancy it was gunna end in emergency c section. My baby was breech with no amniotic fluid. They tried turning her and that didn't work. It was decided emergency c and i was fine with that at that point. Much easier and painless than simply trying to turn her much less delivering a breech baby who ws also backwards.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2011