How do u get mildew smell outta towels

I have washed several times. I cant get smell out cause once u use towel or rag again it smells just as bad. I dont want to have to buiy all new towels etc.. HELP!!!!!

Shepherdtxmom

Asked by Shepherdtxmom at 9:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Home & Garden

• If they are white then add a little bleach to the rinse cycle. That will kill the mildew. If they aren't white, then wash with hot water, and use a cup of mean green in the wash cycle... Hope that helps.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Wash them with vinegar, or peroxide, OR BLEACH.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• do you have hard water? water softener? have you tried dreft for your towels at all?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• try adding vinegar and baking soda to your wash.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 9:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Oxy Clean Are you using them several times before laundering? They're not drying fully between uses

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Add a cup of white vinegar to the wash basin with the detergent, let the water (warm or hot best) come to level then turn off washer and let the towels soak for a few hours. Restart the washer from the beginning of the cycle and run all the way through.

Drying on a line is another good way to get out the mildew-y smell, but you can do the vinegar trick in any weather :-)

This trick also works for wet sheets or clothes after an accident. You don't HAVE to let it soak, but if it is a persistent smell, I recommend it. As a bonus, white vinegar is a non-chemical fabric softener. Your towels will be softer, without coating the fibers like fabric softener does (so they will still be absorbent, unlike if you use regular fabric softener).
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• They have febrezze (?) for laundry and its works sooooo good!!! I have problem with mildew also, especially during the hot humid months and your child hides wet towels before u see her do it and find them a few days later!! U also need to get "washing machine cleaner" from clorox. Your machine also will keep your towels and other things smelling like mildew. Once your machine is clean, wash your towels with febrezz and then they will smell clean again.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• thanks guys I will try .I keep yall updated thanks for saving my towels. They r the big thick full towels i love them.
    Shepherdtxmom

Comment by Shepherdtxmom (original poster) at 10:11 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Oxyclean
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Try Tide with Bleach it's safe on colors.
    wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 10:59 PM on Jun. 17, 2011