What can I do if my child doesn't listen?

What should i do if my child doesn't listen whats the best displine?

taratennant60

Asked by taratennant60 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Listen when? how old? what have you tried?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:30 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• hen ou find out let me know lol. My oldest is ok I mean there are days she doesn't listen, but usually disiplining her straightens her up. My youngest however no matter what I do to that kid she does not listen lol.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Age, when, what does she do instead of listening?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:33 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Depends on the age. My six yr step son get his xbox and toys taken away if he continues to disobey.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 9:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• lol my daughter when she don't get her way she screams out loud?
    taratennant60

Comment by taratennant60 (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• oh you aren't allowed too spank your child?
    taratennant60

Comment by taratennant60 (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• depends on the age of the child.. below 18-24 months, good luck.. lol. above that or at least until 5-8 years old, time outs are best, but they have to be done correctly.. 1 minute for every year they are (example if they are three they get 3minutes). No more than one warning.. no yelling when you put them in time out and remain calm.. if they get up, stop the timer and put them back in and start it back up again.. it may take a few times for them to really stay in time out.. after time out explain why they were there, and let them apologize.. and give them a hug.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:46 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• "oh you aren't allowed too spank your child? "

you can, but I don't advice it.. it typically leads to at least one of two issues.. if you hit your child, (for example for hitting another child), then the child is only going to see that when you are angry you hit as a form of punishment.. so while they may react to the discipline at home out of fear, outside the house they will like a bully toward others. So it really doesn't set the best example. Plus the issue of a lot of parents being okay with spanking at home but not out at the store, thus creating a confusion with discipline causing kids to act up more in public.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:52 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• really?
    taratennant60

Comment by taratennant60 (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• i do time out and hes just 17 months
    britt2thabrat

Answer by britt2thabrat at 3:41 AM on Jun. 18, 2011