Do you think that married couples should share their money?

My hubby and I do.. but I do know that their are many couples out their who pay everything separately. What is your reason for sharing or not sharing? My personal thinking on this is it makes me sure that we're sharing our lives together and for better or for worst.

sweetvietchic

Asked by sweetvietchic at 3:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Relationships

• Hubby and I share the money. Why not? It's not his house and my house, his children and my children, his food and my food nor is it his bills and my bills. Everything we have is because both of us made an effort to get it together. There's no I in team.
    Lexi0030

Answer by Lexi0030 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• We share everything but I am also a stay at home mom so I don't bring in any money. Even when I did work though it all went into one account and our bills came out and the rest was both of ours. I never really thought about why we share.. I guess for the same reason you said.
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 3:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I think in this day and age people are not secure about anything. Maybe they do it because They aren't sure things are going to work out and it will be easier to get a divorce if everything is separate. I think that's just setting themselves up for failure. When My husband and I moved halfway across the country, some of my family told me to set up a secret account, Just in case things didn't work out. Then I would have money to leave my husband. I have done no such thing.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Me and my Hubby do share the money. Is lest of a pain. And beside you are consider one after marriage. So that mien one account. lol
    Jamie8788

Answer by Jamie8788 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• TillmannsGirl

Well before I was married, I wasn't like, "Okay, so we're sharing the money and this is why." I just saw some posts about splitting their own money so I just thought of how it would be and figured that's my reason. LOL did that make sense?
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 3:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• ABSOLUTELY and I simply do not understand those who feel to distinguish between "my" money and "his" money.

Hubby and I set down our financial goals many, many years ago and we make a great team; money is the one thing we never fight about.
    Anonymous

• Yes, we share the money. We share our lifes, we share a bed, we share food, we share everything. we are married and in love. i dont know any couples (married) who dont share the money
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I'm a sahm and we share everything. I do all of the budgeting and bills and we talk to each other before making purchases over $100.
    We figured since it's my "job" to run the household, and buy a good majority of the stuff,
    i get to do the budgeting. Besides, he's more of a spender than I am, so I keep everything in line.
    I was in restaurant management for years, so I try to run my household the way I would run a business.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 3:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• there** misspelled in my question

Jamie8788 LOL "you are one after marriage, so that means one account" hmmm funny but true?
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 3:29 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Huh? I guess I never even thought of marriage without shared assets. We shared everything even before I became SAHM. However, we do set aside some personal money each in the budget so that we can spend however we want with no guilt - or buy a present and it's more "from" us (and more secret).
    forgivenservant

Answer by forgivenservant at 3:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2008