My 6 year old wants to know why babies have to live in water? I am 32 weeks pregnant

when mommy is pregnant I mean lol. I didn't really know other than cause they are supose to lol. I told her to ask the dr lol. So she wants to ask the doctor when I go in Thursday why the baby lives in water. I didn't know what to tell her lol. She also knows the baby lives in a sack and wants to know why it doesn't come out I told her it does. She then said what do they do with it? I said well I guess they throw it away lol. I don't know. Then she asked hows come it isn't on the baby when it is born lol. My youngest (3) asked me how the baby gets out. I told her the doctor gets it out. I then told her well mommy has to help. Then my 6 year old goes ya you have to push the baby out like....like you are going potty right mommy lol. I told her ya you are right lol. She is so smart lol. But what is the reason I can tell her the baby lives in water? Should I let her go ahead and ask the doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• OMG that is SO funny.. I am not a very academically smart person and always said, well I must have more street smarts but my 3-1/2 year old is making sure I have none of that either with his questions.. I end up with "Well honey, because that is the way we / or it is made" he stumps me.. I sure hope 2 dumbs will make a smart lol!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Why can't you explain it to her? It doesn't have to be complicated. Tell her the baby gets everything it needs to live via the umbilical cord that is attached to you too. The water keeps the baby warm and cushioned. And the baby comes out when it is big enough to survive on its own.
    Anonymous

• lol @ the vote down. how do you think air would get inside a sac that was created INSIDE your body?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I am not the vote-downer either, but the baby does breathe - it breathes in amniotic fluid. And yeah, oxygen through the cord.

OP - tell her the water is a cushion and a warm place for the baby to grow.
    Anonymous

• babies don't need air until they are outside of your tummy.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• "I sure hope 2 dumbs will make a smart." As long as you value your child's education and support and encourage him throughout grade school, you should be okay with that.

I am not sure why this is so hard to answer. You are talking to a child. You don't need to be (and probably shouldn't be) all scientific and "academic" as mentioned before. Just make it simple. But if you really have no clue, then why not let her ask the doc? The doc probably knows how to handle a child's questions without giving too much information.
    Georgie_Peaches

Answer by Georgie_Peaches at 9:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Not sure who voted you down, but I do believe oxygen travels through the umbilical cord through mom's blood to the baby's blood... so they actually do get Oxygen.
    Georgie_Peaches

Answer by Georgie_Peaches at 9:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• yes they do get oxygen, but they are not breathing air. they are only mimicking breathing.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• This explains it: http://faculty.stcc.edu/AandP/AP/AP2pages/Units18to20/vessels/fetal.htm
    Georgie_Peaches

Answer by Georgie_Peaches at 9:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• You are right, they are not breathing yet. But they do have oxygen in there, That is all I am saying.
    Georgie_Peaches

Answer by Georgie_Peaches at 9:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2011