Prenatal vitamins

Are OTC prenatal vitamins just as good as the doctor prescribed ones?

blainesmommy03

Asked by blainesmommy03 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• yes but they may not be as cheap depending on how much of them your insurence will cover. i get mine from my dr cuz they only cost me 4dollers for a 4mnth supply. other wise the ones i can buy OTC are like 8dollers. but they are all pretty much the same.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My doctor recommended a specific one that she felt was better than the OTC ones. It had a high % of omega fatty acids. Of course, she also told me that any of them you can keep down are better than taking none at all!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Yes just compare the Suarts Natals to any Generic brand and you'll see, just make sure that your eating healthy cause Prenatal Vits are supplements not replacement of daily food guide requirements.
    njsaucedo

Answer by njsaucedo at 3:56 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• YEP!! They are pretty much all the same. I did comparison shopping and found that aside from differences in label design much of them are the same. Sometimes though, your doctor will give you supplements with iron or zinc or something like that. You just want to make sure that you follow your doctors reccomendations when it comes to dosing and additional ingredients. Good luck!!
    Laya-Lou

Answer by Laya-Lou at 5:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Just compare the % of the vitamins in them. Some OTC ones have you take 2 pills instead of 1, but I don't have insurance that covers meds so its was the better way for me to go. Good luck.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 5:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• They are pretty much the exact same.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:04 PM on Dec. 12, 2008