My newborn's eating?

We brought our daughter home today, and she went almost 6 hours without eating once we left the hospital. She just wants to look around and sleep is this normal? Do they usually not eat very much????

Micki-Cook

Asked by Micki-Cook at 9:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would feed her every 3-4 hours so she doesn't get dehydrated or her billirubin levels don't rise. Did she root around or fuss at all? Both my kids nursed frequently when they were newborns.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Some babies need to be encouraged to eat
    Don't let her go that long between feedings

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Yes, what they ^^ said. Feed her anyway, even if it means waking her up. If you are breastfeeding, it should be even more frequent. Every two hours.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 10:06 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• if it is a bottle fed baby YES if it is a breast fed baby until 3 months or 10 pounds you should not let more then 4 hours pass without breastfeeding even if they only do it for 5 mintues that is fine
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• ok cause she is breast fed but will only eat 5 mins at a tine rite now
    Micki-Cook

Comment by Micki-Cook (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• The day we left the hospital with our daughter she was sleeping for like 2 hours when we left and for almost another 8 hours when we got home, so a total of 10 hours she was sleeping. We tried everything to wake her up so she could eat but nothing worked. We even called the doctor and they told us that if we cant wake her then let her sleep. When she is hungry she'll wake up and eat. They said it was nothing to worry about and enjoy it because she wont sleep like this again for awhile.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 11:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Call your doctor and ask what he/she thinks. Try to keep her awake during the feeding by keeping her in just a diaper and wetting her feet with a cool washcloth if she starts to doze. Never heard that a newborn should be allowed to sleep 6+ hours. Breastfed babies feed every 2-3, at least they are supposed to. Nature intended it that way because you need to get your milk supply established as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• My daughter needed a lot of encouragement to eat. I would drizzle formula on my nipple now and then so she knew that it is where sweet mama's milk came from.

I would also sometimes squeeze my breast so a little milk went into her mouth when she was latched on.

My daughter was also very alert when she was born. I had to be very pushy about her feeding and sleeping because she would do neither!
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 12:51 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I woke my daughter up every 2 hours when she was a nb to feed her.. so going 6 hrs without eating is not good.
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 10:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Offer the breast every hour or two while she's awake. 5 min is fine, some babies eat faster then others. How are diapers?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2011