Diapers, bottle, and potty training at age 2

ok please dont bash. BUT my 2 yr old is still wearing diapers. and i cant seem to get her to go on the potty. no matter what i do or say. ... i mean she tells me after she pees. and half the time she pees right out of her diaper. UGH... and yes im ashamed of it but she still has a bottle... when she goes to bed. and only when she goes to sleep. We have tried taking it away but she threw the biggest tantrum. and i couldnt deal with it. talk about anxiety. but seriously its time to get rid of it!!! i wont let her take it out of the house bc im too embarrassed.
does anyone have any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The potty training thing really isn't an issue yet,but the bottle needs to go
    Cold turkey is the best way

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• in regards to potty training, not a big deal most 2 year olds aren't ready for that anyways! My son will be 2 next month and we still haven't even thought about potty training b/c he's just not ready.

With the bottle...I don't know we just took our son's away and he didn't seem to notice or care. Sorry I can't be any help on that part!
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 10:01 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Potty training is SO much easier if you wait until she's really well and truly ready, which in my experience (6 kids) is around age 3. They can control their pee and poop better, they can communicate more readily, and they are more aware of their social context so they want to learn because it's what big kids do.

As for the bottle, my eldest still used a bottle to sleep until he was starting school (I know, my bad, but he loved it so much I couldn't bear to take it off him) so don't feel bad about a two-year old still using one.

And don't feel embarrassed about the decisions you make: it's your child and you have the right to make these decisions without being judged by others. If she still uses diapers or a bottle when she's older than someone else's child, so what?! Growing up is not a race or a competition. Just love and enjoy her.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• well, the dentist told me as long as its just water its ok but i would def do the cold turkey. you are the mom. its the best for her. give her a sippie after awhile if she is really thirsty she will take it. mine is 27months and is slow in potty training. that is not a big problem because alot of children are not potty trained at 2. you know what you do...take her when you go. i do it first thing in the morning. she knows its pee pee time. just encourage the big girl thing. go buy some really cute girl panties. make it all about her. but really its not a issue. just take it day by day. start the routine and it will come in time.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:03 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My daughter was done with the bottle as soon as she turned 1 and we took it away cold turkey and she didnt even seem to care. So we had no issues with that. She was completely potty trained by 2 and a half, I mean she wore panties all the time and had no accidents at night or during the day. And she never once wore pull ups. We didnt see the point in wasting the money on pull ups. But as metioned above most kids are not ready at the age of 2 to potty train. We had it really easy with our daughter thats why she is such a brat now lol. But we just conned her into wanting to wear big girl panties.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 11:47 PM on Jun. 17, 2011