What would you do if this happened to you?

One of the companies I work for, I haven't worked in a month. So the pay period that just ended I shouldn't have gotten a thing because I didn't work a single hour. I looked in my bank account and the fool that does payroll paid me $150 after taxes. I shouldn't have gotten paid a thing because I didn't work. So, should I let them know immediately that they made this stupid mistake or should I wait for them to come to me and then pay it back when they do.
Let me say, I have every intention of paying this back to them. Should it be now or later. I could really use this money for bills. So should I do that then pay it back when I get paid from my other job the middle of next month?
What would you do?

This has happened a few times before by someone different doing payroll.  My co-workers ended up spending their money on bills and was told they had to give the extra money back in two paychecks but never did lose their job.  This company has screwed me over so many times in the past couple of years. It would feel like payback. But I'm sure I'll do the right thing and again they wouldn't.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• Just return it immediately, I think that is the right thing to do.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I would call them and ask about it. Maybe this is your paycheck for the first week you worked? A lot of jobs pay for the first week after your last week there.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Definitely call them.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:12 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• You hadbetter tell them because if you wait and they find their error, they will wonder why you didn't tell them. They will think you are dishonest and you could lose yor job.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Call them and try to get it straightened out now.

What if you use it for bills and then they come back in a week or two and you can't pay it back? You could easily lose your job over that.

On the other hand, it looks good on you to take the initiative to stay above the board ethically. Who knows? Maybe they will tell you to consider it an advance on your next period of work. But you should let them know ASAP.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• No you have to let them know. It would totally make you look dishonest if you pay it back. Now this is what I would do, but you do you. I just wouldn't feel right taking money I know for a fact that I did not earn. Trust me, this could backfire. I know times are tough, believe me I do,but I would definetly let them know a mistake was made on their part. I'm a school teacher, and just two months ago payroll gave me 200 bucks too much, and I went back there fast with the money, and they were so happy and impressed that I did what I did. Come to find out, this money was accidentally taken from another teacher's pay.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I don't know because if my company ever paid me extra on accident i'm pretty sure the apocolypse would quickly follow. haha kidding. I would call them. Maybe there is something you have overlooked that could be a reason for the pay.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 12:48 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Call and see what's going on before u do anything.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 5:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I would phone HR right away

Answer by rkoloms at 6:11 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I would call them. don't spend it...
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 8:15 AM on Jun. 18, 2011