Can I get a tooth pulled while pregnant?

I was suppose to have a tooth pulled but wound up with an infection, had to take the meds for that then went out of town...etc etc etc- SO. Then I found out that I am pregnant. My tooth is cracked down the middle and chiped (its a back tooth). I need to have it pulled as of like two months ago...Can I even get it done???? I've never had a tooth pulled so I am unsure everything...Anyone know?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 10:18 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• as your OB
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 10:21 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• My only answer is NO. I am not sure of the pain level you are in and if you will have pain meds but.. I can only assume you are and you would... my friend had a dental procedure done while 8 months pregnant and her child ended up suffering. however, this was 20 years ago and times and technology is different so I wiould talk to your Dr, dentist, Pharmacist, friends famiyl and any one you can to double check how safe it is.. I have stopped believing in the Medical community to give me truths.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Its pretty killer. My gums swell when Im pregnant and its pretty bad.
    MommaWoods

Comment by MommaWoods (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• The tooth pulling wouldn't be the problem...it would be the numbing medication if anything. I think it would be worse for you NOT to get your dental work taken care of for risk of infection. I would call and ask what they can safely do for pain, and then ask your OB about it too before going through with it.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• i had one pulled at around 5 or 6 months. I had to get a letter from my ob for the dentist saying what i could have. I was only allowed to have a certain kind of numbing stuff, had to have a double blanket for xrays and couldnt have any pain meds after.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I know you can get cavities filled, at least according to my dentist and my OB. I think the only thing is you can't have the happy gas. The numbing stuff is safe. Good luck! I would hate to have to go through that while pregnant.
    Anonymous

• Yep, I did! Just make sure they out a lead apron on you.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 12:21 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I meant put sorry for the typos im on my phone
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 12:22 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I want so badly to get 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled because i had braces when i was in middle school. I asked my ob if i could and she said no because its not a mandatory treatment that needs to be done this instant and that i had to wait until pregnancy was over. The pain from it puts too much stress on your body with a baby inside
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 2:00 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• yes i had four pulled while i was pregnant
    britt2thabrat

Answer by britt2thabrat at 2:06 AM on Jun. 18, 2011