If I wanted a divorce...

and I want to collect alimony and child support but I got married in a "no fault" state then can I get a divorce in a "fault" state if we live there? or not?

I have been a sahm for 4 years and he has been the sole provider. I have taken care not only or our child together but my step children as well. I have been the primary parent most of the time as he is the provider. I just want to know that after 4 years of unemployment and no bills under my name and we dont own any property just a small business ( just getting started) that i can provide for my small child and myself for awhile until I can find employment and get on my feet. I am afraid because i got married in a no fault stat. Any advice would be helpful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• My answer may not fit everyone but alimony is extremely hard to recieve anymore child support you'll get once it gets filed with the courts....But i'm pretty sure if your in a no fault state you cant receive alimony i may be wrong. And no you have to file in the state that you reside in.
    SarahLynn1985

Answer by SarahLynn1985 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• supporting a child has nothing to do with fault.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Essentially, a no fault divorce means that either spouse can end a marriage, and there really doesn’t have to be a reason in many cases. The cited reason is irreconcilable differences, but that can mean virtually anything from a spouse committing adultery to someone simply deciding they don’t want to be married. Where no fault divorce laws apply, it is virtually impossible to stop a divorce, since either spouse may initiate divorce proceedings and get a divorce under these laws.

I got that from WiseGeek. com

If I was you I would look up my state laws on divorce..

Alimony is NOT hard to receive...I live in NJ....my husband's X got alimony....for 3 years...they were married for 6..

In some states it depends on how long you have been married, on whether or not you will receive alimony..

Child Support is a given....he will have to pay it...

Go do some research....
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:45 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• What state do you live in?
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:48 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• No you divorce in the state you live in, sorry.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I think you have to be married for 10 years or more to get alimony, child support you can get as soon as you file it. You should try & find a lawyer that has free consultations & ask them questions.
    VanillaBlondie8

Answer by VanillaBlondie8 at 11:29 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Im not sure ill give you a bump but I think it does depend on how long you have been married..
    Heather021287

Answer by Heather021287 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I DONT THINK SO.....ALSO DEPENDS ON THE KIDS....WHERE WERE THEY BORN? FOR EXAMPLE MY HUSBAND AND HIS EX GOT MARRIED IN GA WELL WE LIVE IN FL AND SINCE THE KIDS WERE BORN IN FL AND FL IS A NO FAULT STATE THEY HAD TO GET DIVORCED IN FL. AND SHE CHEATED ON HIM SO SINCE FL IS A NO FAULT STATE THE ONLY THING THE JUDGE SAID WAS SHE HAS TO PAY CHILD SUPPORT AND THATS BASICALLY IT EVEN THOUGH SHE HAD AFFAIRS.
    MRZDAUGHERTY

Answer by MRZDAUGHERTY at 4:21 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Child support has nothing to do with fault or no fault divorce in any state. Anyone can get child support through the court if they can prove paternity, which is easy to do. Alimony is next to impossible to get unless you are severely disabled or something like that but ask an attorney who would know the facts.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 7:41 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I laughed at the last answer...that alimony is next to impossible.

Totally Incorrect! My husband paid 3 years of alimony to someone who committed a felony, he and his X were married a total of 6 years.

10 years in my state and you could get alimony for life....yeah..life...

Get a lawyer...get a job....figure it out...

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:08 PM on Jun. 21, 2011