Any cross-stitchers?

What is the biggest project you've ever completed, and how long did it take?

katiemomNY

Asked by katiemomNY at 10:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I HAVE BEEN CROSSTITCHING A LONG TIME.I WORKED ON A PICTURE FOR 6 MONTHS AND WAS GOING TO GIVE IT AWAY BUT SINCE I PUT SO MUCH TIME INTO IT I KEPT IT.I LOVE CROSSTITCHING.I AM WORKING ON A PICTURE FOR MY KITCHEN.
    georgia362

Answer by georgia362 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I did a stamped cross stitch table runner/4 napkins. This took about 4 weeks.
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 10:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Not me, but there were lots being given away today on Freecycle.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I am a long time cross-stitcher! I have given most of my projects away for little gifts. I don't have the time to work on big projects these days, so I just work on small things as I can. I just finished a bread cloth for a friend. Over the last couple years, I have framed a couple samplers and kept them for myself!
    GrandmaSherry

Answer by GrandmaSherry at 10:54 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I haven't been able to cross-stitch much with a two year old, but I'm hoping to get back to it when she's a little older. It does make for lovely gifts!
    katiemomNY

Comment by katiemomNY (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I've been cross stitching for about 6 years some of my large projects require 20X15 work area. I do not work constantly I often work on several projects at a time.  I would say it takes me a year to do a large project. My sister has done a project that is a tribute to the Twin Towers in NY, they area about 3 feet tall!  I don't know how long it took her.

wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 11:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• ^^ Wow - the WTC? That must have taken forever!
    katiemomNY

Comment by katiemomNY (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I've been cross-stitching for over 20 yrs. One piece took me about 4 months to complete.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 5:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I've been stitching for over 30 years. The biggest piece I did was "Silent Flight" by Dimensions. 16" x 11", 18 ct. fabric, and every single square was stitched. That's 57,024 stitches! It took me 8 months, but that was with Christmas thrown in there. If I'd worked on it 100% of the time instead of just a day or two a week, I'd estimate it would have taken me 4 to 5 months.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:26 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• To answer my own question... for my brother and sister-in-law's first Christmas as a married couple, I decided that I wanted to do something really personal and special, so I picked out a huge, ornate counted cross-stitch project with the bible verse, "Love is patient, love is kind..." on it. Prior to this project, the only cross-stitch I'd ever done was a little Christmas ornament, lol, so I had NO IDEA what I was getting myself into. I started the project in September and it rapidly became clear to me that I was going to have to put in long hours to get it finished by Christmas. I ended up finishing less than a week before Christmas, just in time to have it matted and framed. Thankfully, they loved it! Ten years later it still hangs in their home.
    katiemomNY

Comment by katiemomNY (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2011