Can I dye my hair while pregnant?

I have heard from some people that it is completly fine, and then I have heard from others that I shouldn't dye it until after the baby is here. I only do my roots so it would only be on for about 20 minutes and take about 15 to do so would this harm my baby in any way, even if I did it outside or in a well vented area?

Megan1213

Asked by Megan1213 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• NO! Don't. Those chemicals are NASTY. Doesn't matter if it's a well ventilated area or not. Definitely NOT worth the risk of life-long harm to your baby.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• It's fine. But I'd go to a professional. The way they make salon color is virtually fume free, ammonia free, vegetable based. Not to mention it'll take better. Chemical services tend to process faster while preg due to elevated body temperatures.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I've heard both. I've heard you can dye your hair as long as you are in the 2nd or 3rd trimester than i've also heard dont do it at all. People may think me a horrible person but i dyed my hair when i was pregnant my daughter is 3 months now with no health problems so honestly the choice is really up to you
    SarahLynn1985

Answer by SarahLynn1985 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• You can research it too!! All of us stylists have kids and our kids are just fine. There is no medical proof that it's dangerous to color.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• It's not so much the fumes... it's that they really don't know how much of the chemicals are absorbed into your system (and subsequently the babies system) thru your scalp. So no... you should NOT die your hair while pregnant!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Wow, of course......I'm a professional. I've researched it extensively. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. Ask a stylist to use Demi permanent on you if you are just depositing color. if you need a little lighter it's still fine though.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• If you use the right type of color there are no " chemicals "
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• It doesn't harm the baby you can dye your hair, that book "What to Expect When Expecting" is very good it tells you what you can & can't do during pregnancy & it says coloring your hair is Ok. Also my OB told me it's Ok as well. Ask your Ob to see what he/she tells you.
    VanillaBlondie8

Answer by VanillaBlondie8 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• All the chemicals that you breath in while dying your hair are not good for the baby. Im sure it would be ok if you wore a mask? I personally wouldn't risk it. Im 36 weeks now, and I kinda like my natural hair color :)
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 11:05 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• okay.. the only chemical that is possibly dangerous is the ammonia in some hair colors. And in well ventilated areas, after the first trimester there really is little to no risk.. (if there were, trust me, most of us would have defected children and it would be more widely reported about).
    You have options too.. you can use a demi color, (ammonia free).. to cover your roots.. (although I suggest a professional stylist for this only because OTC color kits may still contain ammonia).. or a natural permanent hair color kit.. like henna (ALTHOUGH PLEASE BE ADVICED, while safe for you and baby, it's not great for your hair.. when I say permanent I MEAN permanent, decolorizers (aka bleach aka strippers) will NOT remove henna or like products so choose or use with care.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:14 PM on Jun. 17, 2011