I took a 100 ml tramadol for severe pain about two hours ago. I'm still in so much pain.

Can I safely take another 50ml? I don't usually go over prescribed dosages, but it hurts so bad!

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Health

• I would. It should fine. If for some reason you get an upset stomach from it, drink some milk and eat a snack.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 11:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Tramadol is centrally acting, and you should wait until the four hours have passed before taking another dose. There is a danger of respiratory depression and seizures. Can you take some Tylenol right now? It acts differently and may have an additive effect on the pain. What kind of pain is it? Nerve pain? Muscular? Nerve pain responds to some different kinds of medications.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:09 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Really bad ovarian cysts and a dislocated knee! Double whammy!
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:10 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Ow! You could take an Advil or Aleve (NSAID) now since they are anti-inflammatory. I really wouldn't recommend going over the safe dose of anything. (I'm an R.N. and it would be irresponsible of me to advise you to do so!).

About the cysts, have you talked to your doc? I've had them give me progesterone for that so the cyst is reabsorbed. Some docs prefer birth control pills. In an extreme case they can insert a teeny tiny needle through the vaginal wall and drain it. I had that done once, but I was out during surgery so I didn't feel it.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Honestly, i really think you can take a little more b/c my Chi/Yorkie takes 5mg. of Tramadol 2x a day & she can have more if she is still in pain- i know i am comparing my dog to this (SORRY! LOL) but, i just thought i would tell you what my vet said- Hope you feel better soon:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:20 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Lol at daisyb. That was cute!

I have had two cystectomies. I have PCOS and my left ovary needs to be removed. It is four to five times it's normal size. No insurance. I fell and dislocated my knee a week ago and I was working all day and it swelled up and was pulsating!
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Awe! I'm sorry! I wonder if you contact your care provider and see if you can get something stronger. Sure hope you feel better soon!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:25 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I'm sorry! I hate tramadol for that reason, it just don't work for me. Although the safe answer would be to not go over your recommened dose, but honestly, I'd take another one. One more is not likely to cause problems. I'm only 5ft tall and 120 lbs and have taken more than that. Although, i have a high tolerance to most meds and my dr. is aware of this. You may want to call your dr. tomorrow though and let him know your not getting relief. They may up the dose or switch you to something stronger. Nothing is worse that suffering unnecassary pain.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 12:41 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I always call a pharmacist about this kind of thing. They know more about this then docs know. I know, this is a lot later then you first posted though. It does sound like this particular pain med just doesn't work for you.
    I've had several surgeries, last year I had 3 in 4 weeks. After 1 I was prescribed 5 mg oxycodone. Which didn't do shit. And motrin which I wasn't supposed to take with the celebrex. So after the 2nd surgery at the same hospital, military hospital, I told the doc not to bother prescribing, I wouldn't take it. He was all like 'oh, wow! You can handle it without narcotics!'. I told him it didn't work worth a shit, but if he'd give me something that did, something stronger, I'd take it. But I didn't want to take pills that were useless.
    Anywho, sounds like this one doesn't work. And, it's not a good idea to self medicate with things like this. I do hope the pain gets under control soon though.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2011