Pricing?

What are different things you pay for when you live on your own. How much on average?

How much do I need to make a month to make it one my own, just my son and I.. Well my parents plan on helping me because they are proud that I am going out on my own and taking right steps to better lives and going to college, working, etc....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Jun. 17, 2011 in Home & Garden

• It really depends on the price of living where you live. Electric/Gas, Water/Sewer, Rent/Mortgage, Garbage, Insurance, Transportation/Car. It all can vary so greatly. If you rent some of those things might be included in your rent. Then you also have to have money for food and necessities. For our expenses right now all of those things come to about $3500 or so but it could be done a lot cheaper in a different area. My sister is able to make things in a cheaper area on about $1200 monthly.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• $645 is for my townhouse and bills.. I'm not buying cable, internet, or that stuff right now, I don't have time for it. And DVD's work good lol. My parents are keeping my cell phone on their bill, it helps me, plus makes them pay lower because of the package deal or whatever. My phone creates a great hotspot for my computer if I need internet, I always use it when I'm out anyways.. But like food-I have no idea what to price that as, I get a lot of WIC for my son (four months old). So I only need food for me, and I eat free when I'm working so that cuts dinner 4 nights a week.. My mom babysits for free because she calls it her bonding time..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• I know insurance is a big expense for us. Home owners, auto, life and health all add up. Shop around for lower prices on these. Unexpected stuff can add up too. We had a TV go and it couldn't be repaired so we had to replace. Just this week, the horn stopped working on the car. Luckily we fixed it ourselves as it turned out to be a blown fuse. With an infant, you can keep costs down by buying used clothing. I shop 2nd hand sales.  I picked up a lot of t-shirts for my twins at theSalvation Army. They have 1/2 price on clothing on Wednesdays.  Craigslist.org it also a good place to find used kid equipment.  You're lucky that your sitter bill is 0.  That's typically fairly big.  As for food, it depends on what you buy.  Cooking from scratch is cheaper but when you're alone, it's a lot of work.  Eating out adds up too.  $7 - 10 per day would be a minimum range for food.  I buy in bulk and save quite a bit by doing that.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• it does all depend but there are alot of services with gas/electric company for low income families that you could get your bills budgeted low. so if you thimnk about it your bills for most people go rent, electric, gas, water/garbage/and sewage, cell phone bill and cable/internet. the basics you need are rent,elctic/water, water/garbage and sewage, and your phone.
    angeleyz375

Answer by angeleyz375 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2011