How can I get healthy again?

I moved to Michigan about three years ago, and I have been sick ever since! Not all the time - but prone to a lot of illness. This winter alone, I had the influenza flu twice (allergic to flu shots), the stomach flu virus once, bronchitis, strep throat, and several colds. It seems like every other week I'm coming down with something! I babysit a four-year old. I do wash my hands a lot, and cover my mouth with a tissue when I sneeze or cough.

I'm just getting off my last round of anti-biotics. My chiropractor has convinced me of the need to take probiotics, to replace the "good" bacteria that got killed off along with the bad ones. Is there something else I should try, as well?

I'm so tired of being sick!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Health

• I would try a holistic approach.
    Try Lots of Antioxidants (any berries, leafy greens, green tea, reservatrol),
    Eliminate Processed Foods From Your Diet,
    Do a Basic Cleansing (i like raw apple cider vinegar, 2tsp a day mix with water to dilute and sip throughout day, add natural local honey)
    Be Active (yoga and walking is my fav, a good yoga tape is all you need)
    Sleep Very Good (at least 9 hours a night, take melatonin if you tend to wake up a lot until you get into a routine then stop using it)

If you are always sick, I really doubt one form of medication will help you long-term. You need a good lifestyle change.

I know lots of information about holistic healing if you want to message me for more info! I would be so happy to help if I can!
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 12:19 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I don't have much of an answer, but i'm sorry your going thru that. I live in Louisville KY and we are consistently 1 or 2 in the worst cities to live for allergies. The enviornment here can wreak some havoc in people not use to it. Have they looked at enviornmentally what could cause it? I moved to NC for a couple years in 1999 and never got sick. Back here in louisville, it's frequent colds, allergies, bronchitis. But i'm use to it. With it being around the move it does sound enviornmental.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 12:24 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• My oldest child got sick in April - tummy trouble type sick, lost a ton of weight he didn't have to lose; and never got to the point of eating to make it up like usual. About 3 weeks later the same thing came back (and we all got a lighter version of it) and he lost more weight and we finally gave him probiotics. He was better a lot quicker and has been eating ever since. I'm convinced it was what kept the illness from not getting bad in the rest of us.

I think probiotics and looking at what you are eating will make a difference. I've been reading a lot on factory farms and so called organic foods. It makes you think a lot about what one puts in one's body and how it affects our health. It is frightening.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:30 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Exercise on a regular basis and eat healthy.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:38 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I do exercise - when I'm not too sick. I walk my dog several times a day. I used to walk three miles a day, but got out of the habit. Need to build up to that again. I'm older, have some arthritis issues. I have a YMCA membership and started swimming. I'm trying to eat healthier. I like raw foods, but haven't completely converted to raw. I should mention that my city is terrible for allergies. I'd heard that they got a grant years ago to plant thousands of Dogwoods, and it must be true, because you can't go anywhere in the spring but what the ground is just covered with dogwood blossoms. Something is always blooming here! I love the flowers, but hate my itching nose. I would love more information on holistic healing. I would love to get off more medications. Currently, I take an antidepressant, a thyroid supplement, a pill to lower cholesterol, and a multivitamin.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:51 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• From my past experience, antibiotics are one of the worst things to be on. I had severe allergy and sinus problems and the doctor kept me on antibiotics for months at a time. I was sick all the time and just didn't feel right. Finally, I changed my doctor. He took me off the antibiotics, and recommended that I use the sinus wash everyday (specially at the end of the day) He also recommended I have a tonsilectomy, because of chronic sore throats. I used to be sick every month! I have felt so much better sine my tonsils came out. Also, sometimes I go to a accupuncturis and he helps me a lot and with no antibiotics.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 1:24 AM on Jun. 18, 2011