You know I was thinking...

Today on the way home from preK, my son was asking me about pine cones, and what they are for. I said that they hold the seeds for the trees, and when they fall to the ground, the seeds can grow into new trees. He then asked why there weren't more trees in our yard, and I said that it's because when the yard gets mowed, it kills the baby trees before they have a chance to grow into big trees.

Well that got me thinking. Isn't mowing your lawn kind of like giving your lawn an abortion. Aren't you just aborting all those little tiny seedlings, that are trying to grow into full beautiful trees. Don't those little seedlings have a right to life too?

Before any one asks, I am pro-choice, it's just sometimes my mind wanders into weird territories, and questions like this just pop up.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 3:38 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a student of Buddhism, and like most other religions, Buddhists are taught not to kill. It seems like a black and white kinds thing, but your example of the saplings getting mowed down (my mom used to call them volunteer trees) is a perfect illustration of just how much grey area there really is. Yes, it is good to refrain from killing, but how far do we take it? Some people might be inclined to let those trees grow, while others will cut them down without a thought. There is an order of Buddhist monks (I can't remember where) who sweep the ground before them as they walk so as not to accidentally step on any bugs or lizards. That's taking it pretty far. I don't do that. And I also mow my lawn, volunteer trees or not. I think it is up to each individual to decide how far to take their morals and values as they apply them to their lives.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i wouldnt compare the two, but it is sad to kill the baby trees huh? i have two huge maples in my yard and theres sooo, many babies always sprouting up.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:52 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• You're right bluefrog, there is a lot of grey area involved. During the same car ride home today, my son was asking if Batman ever kills the bad guys. I said sometimes he does, on accident, but his goal is always to try and save them and put them in jail, because even though they are bad guys, it's never ok to kill someone. But then I was thinking about the death penalty (which I am for), but how do I explain the difference between one person deciding to kill someone, and society deciding to kill someone? I couldn't help but think how hypocritical that was.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 3:58 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• you're kinda strange

; )

I like that
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• But sometimes you have to kill some things in order to give life to others. If we didn't move our lawns most of what we would have is weeds. By mowing the lawn we are also refertilizing the yard as well. It's also easier for some animals to feast on.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• LMAO. They wouldn't all grow anyway - that's why there are so many seeds. And there is an issue of boundaries. Sometimes I kill bugs in my house rather than take them outside. You could let them all grow if you don't need the space. And if they're not close enough to the house to interfere with the sewer, power lines, etc., etc. Overall, yeah, it's like a tree abortion. Except the tree wasn't given a choice, and I'm not sure what tree birth control consists of. So, maybe not. I think I need to get to know you... I have often wondered this type of thing, particularly since my spirituality is nature based.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:58 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I'm not sure what tree birth control consists of.

ROTFLMAO!!!!

OMG I love this question. :)

Life is a gray area. The important thing is that we THINK about things, even as ridiculous seeming as this. When we stop thinking, and stop questioning, we become robots marching blindly with no real destination.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 6:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Thanks figaro and kimberlee it's nice to know that I'm not the only one to have strange thoughts run through my head!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Meds?
    Anonymous

• Anon...sorry we don't give refills here...call your doctor.

Interesting question though. I honestly have no answer, lol. I'm as stumped as you are. Tree abortion...never though of it that way. Wait till I catch my hubby on the mower next year and start yelling "MURDERER" at him, lol.
    SLCMOMMY

Answer by SLCMOMMY at 9:35 PM on Dec. 12, 2008