WWYD? Eight yr old wants hairless legs.

My eight year old has pretty thick (thicker then her sisters was) blonde hair on her legs. She is always worried someone is going to notice how thick it is and trys to hide her legs. This was something she brought up on her own. She tells me she hates her "man hair", her sister is older by 7 yrs so she has shaved legs and so do I. So she relates her hairy legs to her dads man legs.

Would you Nair her legs or make her live like this until she's older? Need some input from other moms, her dad thinks I should just Nair her. I have gone the talking about it and how it's normal at her age etc but it still bothers her to no end.

Thank you all we did buy a tube of Nair for sensitive skin last week it's sitting in my bathroom waiting for me to decide to use it. I'm not against doing it, I guess I was moe concerned that I was jumping the gun and it was a phase for her to be worried about that others girls go thru and are just fine in a month or so. 

June 23rd ETA... We did it!! She is SO insanely happy to be leg hair free!! We used the nair I bought and tested a small patch on her upper thigh before using it on the whole leg.  Thank you all for your replies.

I think we will  have a Nair day some time in the near future as it REALLY bothers her not just a little but a lot. She is also very hairy up her back (always has been since birth) but she can't see that so it doesn't bother her I imagine some day it will bother her if it doesn't thin out when she hits her preteens.

And yes I've spoken to her doctor about her hair but he said it's not excessive in a medical way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think if it was really hairy and my daughter was self concious bc of it i would probally let her.
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 12:45 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• If it bothers her, yes, I would let her use Nair until she was old enough to shave. At her age, she may not have to do it but once a month or so, depending on how fast it grows back..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:47 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Nair them. I was 9 when my parents finally let me Nair them, it's not going to hurt her any, but it will make her happy.

retent

Answer by retent at 12:47 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I wouldn't let my daughter shave that young with her leg hair being so light. But if she was like a cousin of mine that had very thick, dark leg hair I might. My cousin started shaving when she was 10 because she was getting made fun of so badly in school about her hair. The kids would call her a man and she would always come home in tears.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 12:49 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Or just use a trimmer on them if you're not comfortable with using the Nair on her yet. If you do use the Nair I would do a test spot incase she's allergic. I used Nair without doing the test spot and wow that was bad. I itched and scratched my legs like 30 seconds after it was on then had the ugliest rash for a week afterward. Lol. It was horrible! Anyhow, why not use a trimmer? That would take out the thickness and almost take it off?
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 12:51 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• If it really bothers her, I would either nair or shave. you may want to try the nair in a small area first, because it's very strong and she could show alergic reaction to it. My dd (also 8) has a lot of hair on her legs and her arms. On a few occasions she has mentioned that the kids in her class make fun of her being hairy, but I told her to just tell them "that everyone is made different". Since then she hasn't said anything to me so I didsn't start her on shaving her legs. However, if it gets to a point that it's bothering her, I will let her shave.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 12:52 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• My daughter had dark BLACK hair on her arms and legs...Last year she started shaving, 12 years old! Puberty started and wanted to look nice for the boys of course. So i would wait a while.
    kea1313

Answer by kea1313 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I would be hesitant to use nair or any type of chemical depilatory on a child that age. Why not just teach her to shave? You could start her with an electric razor so she doesn't cut herself.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 12:59 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• If it really bothers her, I don't see any problem with it.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 8:01 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• My 9 yo uses Veet. Most of the kids in her class this year (4th grade) were either shaving or using hair removal products.

Answer by missanc at 8:33 AM on Jun. 18, 2011