Do you think it's selfish for overweight women to become pregnant ?

They generally are at risk for more issues than a woman of healthy weight.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• I don't think it's selfish, it's her body and her business.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 12:50 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• At risk doesn't mean guaranteed. Avoiding pregnancy in order to avoid complications would be selfish for anyone by that logic.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:51 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• nope
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:52 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• No! Thats just plain mean to say!
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 12:54 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• no. ive had 2 completely healthy & normal pregnancies and im about 50 lbs overweight. if were going off of risk of complications then there would be a lot of selfish women out there in all sorts of categories.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:58 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Not all overweight women are unhealthy. I could stand to shed about 20lbs. and I had a very healthy pregnancy. And chances of a morbidly obese woman getting pregnant, if that is what you mean, are pretty slim since the weight affects their hormone levels (or so I have heard.) I know women that are slender and had serious complications. So your question is rather uninformed and trollish. Don't be surprised if people rip you a new one.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 1:12 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• No not at all.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 1:15 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• No! Yes, I was overweight when I had my son, but having a child meant more than anything in the world to me. I could not even begin to think of losing weight (which I eventually did) until after I had my son. Overweight women have just as much right to become mothers as skinny ones do.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:27 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• i'm pretty sure it's selfish for ANYONE to get pregnant. selfless is doing something completely despite your own wants and needs, for the sake of others. no one else ever needs some random woman to get pregnant. if she does it, it SHOULD be selfish, because she wants it.

that being said, i think the word you meant is irresponsible. and yes, to some extent, it is irresponsible for any person to get pregnant if they know they are at high risk, whether it be for weight or other health conditions. but, i know lots of women who are willing to risk it for the chance of having that baby nestled in her arms, looking up at her with love and curiosity.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 1:57 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• ABSOLUTELY NOT. The vast majority of overweight mothers have healthy pregnancies and successful fullterm births. To suggest a woman not have children because she is overweight is absurd.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 6:56 AM on Jun. 18, 2011