Has anyone flown with a dog?

I will be flying alone with my daughter and need to take my dog with us. I have never done this before and have no clue what all I need to do or anything. Any tips on this?? Also I already have a crate that is for flying with for the dog. Thanks!

lilmissJ

Asked by lilmissJ at 3:49 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Pets

• I would look on delta airline's website. My parents used to sell dogs and ship them throughout the country. They are the best at handling pets on flights. They will have alot of info. on their site about what to expect during the flight and how to prepare for it. Hope it helps!!
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 3:56 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Check the ped guidelines VERY CAREFULLY, many will not allow dogs flying from southern states AT ALL. If that's the case, you'll have to board her. I know Northwest has that policy.
    hsalvatore

Answer by hsalvatore at 5:43 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i do know that you have to get a clearance from your vet before you can even put her on a plane. definately read the guidelines of what ever airlines you're going through.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Depending on the size of the dog you want to take with you, many airlines will allow you to put the carrier under your seat on the plane instead of shipping in the live cargo unit. Its cheaper and its less stressful for the dog.
    CairoMom

Answer by CairoMom at 6:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• How big is the dog? Most airlines wont let dogs fly if the temp is too hot or too cold. Can you carry it in the cabin with you? That is what I ALWAYS do!! Message me if you have any questions!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 5:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• She's a shar pei lab mix and is about 30lbs right now. So I can't take her in the cabin with me.
    lilmissJ

Answer by lilmissJ at 11:56 AM on Dec. 19, 2008