Temperature help

do you add a degree to a rectal temp? I thought my 1 month old felt warm so I checked and it was 99.5, checked again a few mins later and was 99.9 do I call her ped? I'm scared

luvmylilbean

Asked by luvmylilbean at 2:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My rule is if you think you need to call then you need to call. Every time. I wouldn't be scared about the temp though.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• 98.6 is the adverage normal body temperature--

an infant is the same however it is not a fever unless the rectal temperature is more then 100.4
    simply declothing a one month old and using a small fan can help your infant if you think s/he may be too warm if after 30 minutes of that there is a temp more then 100.4 you should take the baby to the Er or Pedi office-- i
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• yea thats not even considered a fever til 100.4 for her age. just keep her cool.. just keep an eye on her check her temp like every 1-2 hrs.. if it goes to 100.4 or over go to the ER.. if you are still worried.. there is no harm in calling the dr and checking..
    good luck.. hope she feels better soon :)
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 9:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2011