What is the safest car seat?

Hello everyone. I am new to the group, and joined to connect with other caring moms. My sweet daughter is about to be one. I am looking to buy her a car seat because she is about over her infant carrier lol.... I am just trying to keep her in it a little past a year and 20lbs. Could someone PLEASE tell me which one I should buy? I do NOT care about price...as you can't put a price on my child's safety. So, I'm expecting to spend a lot to have the safest one. I don't really care about looks either, I just want the best SAFEST car seat. I would love ANY information on this. Also, if you tell me a particular brand, could you include the type (since there are so many different seats to a brand and it gets overwhelming) Thanks so much for all your help (in advance). I know you moms will have the answers!!

kgaines2

Asked by kgaines2 at 2:37 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• check out consumer reports. I bought a Britax seat for my DD. I don't know the model, but we're happy with it.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 7:01 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• For an infant car seat we have the Chicco Keyfit with base, Very highly rated for safety & we have the Britax Marathon Car seat for up to 60 lbs. also highly rated for safety.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:02 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Look for a model that allows the child to remain rear-facing until age four. Extensive research shows that children are much safer remaining rear-facing. It does not break their legs, which is a common misconception. Forward-facing car seats are dangerous, and crash studies show that the child risks internal decapitation in a crash. Keep your child rear-facing until he is four years old! Children are five-times safer in the rear facing position. You can google this, and read a ton of information, including an article I published a year ago. And legislation is already in progress to make rear-facing to age four the law.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 7:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I use a Britax for my DD
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• britax marathon is what i bought, they came out with a britax 70 that has a higher weight limit soon after
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:26 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• I have a Eddie Bauer and its been through both of my kids. I am very happy with it.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 8:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2011