Would this be considered a weapon on a plane?

We are flying to Disney(Fla) and my special needs 15YO likes carrying a plastic hanger for comfort/stimulation. He is a multi stroke survivor amoungst other issues. we are trying to change to a basball hat but not going very well. any ideas,suggestions would be helpful

RobinChristine

Asked by RobinChristine at 2:45 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Travel

• I am not sure I would ask and speak to someone in the company that specialized helping someone who has special needs. They should be more than willing to help as they must for ada compliance good luck
    kealey

Answer by kealey at 2:49 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Call the TSA at the airport, let them know what is going on and see what u may have to do. But if a bottle of baby food, open eye contact cleaner solution, oh the ever popular exploding cans of baby formula can be considered a weapon, then ya a coat hanger can really bring the airplane down, and subdue the pilots and the crew. Sorry, the security is getting stupid, there is such a thing as TOO much security.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:53 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I don't know much about these things, but it's just an idea. How much time do you have? Can you make something like this http://vintagehomearts.com/index.php?action=display&ref=26095 to get him accustomed for a month or so, and see if he can get accustomed to that, and then switch it to a regular one (animal) without the hanger?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I think a plastic coat hanger is OK. DH has them in his carry-on suiter every week and hasn't been stopped. You might want to call TSA and verify this. Be sure to tell Disney he has special needs. They have line passes if he can't wait in long lines. A child-size or doll-size hanger would be less conspicuous and might give him the comfort he needs. Enjoy your trip!

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• call tsa and ask them and explain your situation....my other sugetion is to get him one in a child or infant size that wouldnt be noticable....good luck
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:53 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• . Be sure to tell Disney he has special needs.
    Thanks,they will know,the trip is possible thru Make A Wish.
    RobinChristine

Comment by RobinChristine (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• just let them know that he is a special needs child and get a written note from your doctor that he needs these items; that is what I had to do when I flew
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2011