Potty Training!!! Please help!!!

My son is 3 and a half! He has gotten better however He waits to the last min to tell me he has to go. I put him on 6 or 7 times a day. We sing our potty son. He will wear big boy underwear. every time he goes I give him a sugar free lolly pop. Any one have any ideas??

ljmommy1211

Asked by ljmommy1211 at 4:19 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It helps to have a solid daily routine. If you always eat at the same time every day, and nap or go to bed at the same time every day, then he is more likely to have to pee and poo at the same time every day. If he is getting enough sleep (12-14 hours daily) he is less likely to miss the signs that he has to go potty. A regular daily routine used to be the norm, but nowadays families are too flexible. Preschoolers do very well with routine. Also, if he's having a lot of pee accidents, maybe he's getting too much to drink. Cut back on fluids, and encourage him to eat more fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables - served raw as much as possible and with the skins/peels on - will keep his poo moving along smoothly, without pain, which is also a common complaint among preschoolers today. If the pee accidents continue, especially if there is a strong odor, or any discomfort, have him checked for an infection.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 6:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• My son was watching Blues Clues the other day and had an accident. I think that he was so fascinating by his favorite show that he was trying to hold it as much as possible but fail to do it. :). He es 3 too. I keep forgetting that he still needs me remind him when he has to go. He is also getting better as he is starting to getting to know his body and necessities.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 7:50 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• You and he are doing great!! He will get there soon. They have to listen to their bodies and learn the signs that it is time to go and it takes time. It is not an easy thing to learn. Stay patient and calm. Good job!!!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:03 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Thanks!! I understand the blue clues. He was playing a game I just put him on the potty and the next min I know Mommy Look!!! So i took the game away!!! I think it was a little harsh. But i explained to him that he can have it back once he goes potty three times! But he was playing the game an hour before that and went poop in his underwear so i forgave him but I Think when he did it a second time that it was better for him not to have the game!!
    ljmommy1211

Comment by ljmommy1211 (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2011