How would you handle this?

During the summer I always give my DS school work to do Monday-Friday so he can be a little prepared for the next year. I left him a note of what to do which was to Read First- 4 chapters in his chapter book and write something telling me what those chapters were about, read the rest of a book that he didn't finish on Friday, 1 math worksheet, 10 division and multiplication problems, and he has 10 spelling words that he has to write 10 x each and told him NO TV til it was done.

I didn't wake up til about 9:00 cause I wasn't feeling well and ended up get a call from my DH that he had burned his hand doing something so we had to take him to the doctors I wasn't really thinking about asking DS about his work so when we got back home DS sat down in front of the TV and starts watching a show he knows I don't approve of and I ask him if he finished his work and he tells me no and starts trying to give excuses which of course doesn't work since he had about 4 hours to get it all done.

While we were out earlier his friends mom called and asked if we wanted to come over and hang out and go swimming since it's my DSs birthday and I told her sure but now that I've found out about him not doing what he was told I told him we were still going to go over but that he would have to sit there and watch us swim and have a good time.

I'm just wondering what you other moms would do in this situation if anything at all? Should I punish him in a different way or wait til after his birthday?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 8:41 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Children loose a lot over the summer. There are places school is year round. I homeschool, there is school here everyday in some sort of form or another. What you are doing is only going to help his education. It's not that much you are giving him. Children have responsibilities too and if they don't learn that as children, then they don't know how to be responsible adults. He's lucky he's not my son because he would have not only been sitting, but doing the schoolwork poolside. He had plenty of time to get it done and fooled around. Had he done it there would have been time for fun. When he becomes an adult, his job isn't going to give him off just because it's his birthday or get off for the summer.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Wait until after his birthday. They have school breaks for a reason. Give the kid a break and don't ruin his birthday.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 8:43 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Jeebus- that's a lot of work for a kid who is out on summer break...I mean I get having him read a bit or something during the summer but seriously?
    I guess I have no advice on this one really other than give the kid a break. You really want to ruin his birthday over this? He will never forget about it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:17 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I would have said , to your friends mom and to your son. well we love to but can we come over maybe a little later he has things do.And tell your son if you want to go swimming get your work done. or day sorry my son is grounded for not doing what he was told. maybe another time would be better." Like what was said on the above post" As he gets older to an adult no one is going to care if its his birthday, things still must get done.I know the boy is still a little young, but they have to learn from a young age anymore.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:53 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I understand you want to keep your son ahead of the game with is education during summer break.. BUT there are days you really should have free passes for.. such at birthdays and weekends. I mean if you want him to have weekly assignments fine, but the dead line should be friday by say 3pm. Give him a free weekend, and birthday. During the week is the time for school work if you want him to, but the weekends and special holidays should remain homework free.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I would have asked if he could come over later and given him two hours to do his work if he did not do it I would have called back and asked him to explain why he could not go.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:21 AM on Jun. 18, 2011