How do you know you have ANXIETY?

what are your symptoms? If it helps, I have anxiety over my health. I get weird symptoms and wonder whats going on. Then of course, the symptoms are amplified or I even invent them because of the anxiety.

I guess I'm trying to sort out my real symptoms from the things my body invents because of the anxiety.

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 8:42 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Health

• My anxiety generally causes intestinal issues. It was so bad during exam time at college that I would go to the health center and get a prescription to treat it. When I had anxiety and depression from TTC with no luck, I saw a therapist. Talk with your PCP about getting it treated. Your symptoms are real if they come from anxiety or illness.

Don't feel that this is a dumb question either.  DD's doctor had symptoms after the death of his parents.  He couldn't tell that his problems were the result of his anxiety.  His PCP set him straight.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:30 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• If anxiety is controlling your life - as in you are often nervous/worried/obsessive over these things, then you might want to consider seeing a therapist. They can help you work through your feelings. Hypochondria, which it sounds like may be your problem, or at least part of it, is most likely an anxiety disorder. A lot of people suffer from anxiety issues; it is nothing to be ashamed of, and often therapy is needed to overcome it.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 9:11 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Anxiety can be treated with vitamins, especially the B family of vitamins. I'd try that before seeking help from a psychiatrist since they'd likely prescribe dangerous meds which will do nothing to help you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• wow, lots of differing answers here. first, psychiatrists will prescribe you meds IF they think your symptoms are so bad that you need them to function. they will still see you regularly to talk to you and work out the inner issues of your anxiety. meds will help the symptoms, but they won't make your anxiety go away, anxiety is caused by the flight or fight response. you may have had an anxious moment when cutting the grass, for example. your body went into panic mode and you experienced the flight response. now, you will associate cutting the grass with having a panic attack. you will likely panic or feel anxious everytime you cut the grass, and even thinking about cutting the grass might offset your F/F response. anxiety can most certainly cause physical symptoms. mine are: heart palps, heart racing, shortness of breath, depersonalization & derealization. i'm in cognitive therapy (no meds) and it's been working wonders!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:51 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• also, anxiety can make you worry about things that are irrelevant to the true anxiety issue. i worry about my health all the time also, because of the physical symptoms i experience from anxiety. i worry that there could be an issue with my heart. truthfully, i am in good health and have no reason to worry about my heart. i take good care of it. but this goes back to that irrational thinking, the belief of an idea. i experienced my first panic attack in the car, but somehow it's translated into thinking my heart has problems. the best thing to do to either confirm or deny your fears about your health, is to go get a full physical, including blood tests, ekg's, thyroid, everything to rule out that there could possibly be something wrong with you. then you will know that what you're experiencing is a result of anxiety.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I think your first step should be to go talk to your doctor. Let them advise you of your options.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 9:56 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I have been treated for the same thing years ago and depression. I was put on medication and had counseling. And it worked for me that i decided i can do it with out the medication. Counseling is the best way to go. It worked for me get what is bothering you out.
    cmholt

Answer by cmholt at 10:06 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Its hard not to be stressed in these days and times.People can hardly afford to eat anymore.I have had counciling and have counciled.It helps to talk and worring too much Will make you sick.Look into some meds.They help if not abused.
    Isiswolfe

Answer by Isiswolfe at 1:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• OP - Sounds like you are a hypochondriac. That can be very upsetting and talking to a counselor may help you. Best wishes!

To SecondMom, you are insensitive and cruel. If someone is hurting or their life is disrupted by anxiety, then it is a problem for THEM. She didn't ask about the gifted and genius, or any of the other empty musings you decided to spew at her. You don't sound smart, you sound like you are trying to sound smart and instead ended up sounding like an uninformed nuisance. Her problem is real and it deserves a real response.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• This is an interesting question because it is kind of asking "how can you diagnose yourself and know you are right?" Thinking about ones thinking is what we do when we are adults that have become more complex in our thinking. I always like to ask myself the opposite question when I'm trying to answer a question. For instance, you might also ask, How do you know that you don't have anxiety?
    Anxiety is necessary in life. The question really is a matter of quantity. When is anxiety a health issue and when is it a desirable emotion that helps move one forward in life? Or, when is anxiety adaptive and when is it maladaptive for you? Sosrting out such questions really means thinking more about your thinking and while you could go to a clinician and take a test that would quantify the amount of anxiety you have and compare it with the population norm, what would that prove? The gifted and the genius do not fit int he norm!
    SecondMom59

Answer by SecondMom59 at 8:59 AM on Jun. 18, 2011