Household Chores for a 9 year old

What kind of chores do you think a 9 year old can reasonably handle? When I say chores I'm thinking washing dishes, folding clothes, vacuuming, taking out the trash etc.

And also do you think there should be an allowance attached to chores.

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• mow the lawn, their own laundry, dishes, make bed, keep room clean, vacuuming, dusting, sweep/mop, bathroom cleaning, taking out garbage..
    I suggest a chore chart.. pick one or two things a day for him to do a day during the week.. example: mon: dishes/garbage, tues: vacuuming/dusting, wed: sweep/mop, thurs: make sure bedroom is clean/laundry, fri: dishes
    every day chore: make bed.. make sure done once a week: mow the lawn.
    if a chore isn't done due to say a day trip out with the kids, reassign it to saturday (unless it garbage night or something). Chores should have to be done by end of the day, or the next day no friends, etc.
    as for allowance, put up a weekly extra credit chores list and assign a dollar amount for each.. such as help clean out the garage ($10-50 dollars pending on how bad it is, lol, ) or clean the attic, etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:13 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• My son is 9. He does the following. Not in one day, but he does do them when asked.
    Unload/load dishwasher
    Start washer/dryer
    Fold clothes
    Sweep
    Clean litter box. This is daily. And dumps it once a week. We help with the dumping.
    He mows the yard with supervision
    Takes out the trash
    Brings in groceries and help put them away
    Cleans the bathrooms. Toilet, sink, tub, mirror and sweeps
    cleans his room

I personally feel that we as a family need to all help and pitch in. So he should do it without getting paid. But, we started the Dave Ramsey program where he has chores to do and he gets paid what his age is each week. If he does it without us telling him he can earn "extra" money. If he argues with us he can "loose" money. That amount is up to you. We usually add and subtract a quarter to each item. This helps him take pride in his house and his work and gets a small reward also. Hope that helps:)
    SweetPea726

Answer by SweetPea726 at 9:02 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Some simple consistent chores like picking up after oneself and some rotating ones like washing dishes (I think expecting a 9 year old to always do it is a bit much) are fine. Maybe choose one household task a day to be responsible for and make sure that EVERYONE in the family is expected to do something as well so it is fair. I don't believe allowance should be given for helping around the house. I certainly don't receive money for what I do. That said, allowance to learn about financial management is a good thing.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:56 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• When I was 9 my chores included:

Sweep the floor 2 times a week, porches included...

take out trash

help with yard work (usually raking)

do my own laundry (on certain days)

keep my room cleaned...

I didnt get an allowance.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 11:13 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• oh and my bed was made every day. My mom expected me to contribute to the household, as I lived there too... and chores were my contribution.

my 21 month old already has "chores"...he helps pick his toys up, and likes to "help" me dust (he carries around a clean rag)... so I mean, it just depends on the parent. Chores are important in my opinion. My kids will know how to take care of their home when they move out.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 11:16 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• My 9yo (also my 11yo, 8yo and 5yo) cleans up any mess he makes in any room, gets his dirty clothes into the laundry room when I ask, folds and puts away his own clothes, empties the dishwasher, sweeps the kitchen/house (especially if he's the one that made the mess on the floor), cleans the counters after making himself something to eat, takes out the trash/recycling on garbage day or when it gets full, takes his turn cleaning the kids' bathroom, mows the lawn and helps with other yard work if asked, carries in groceries, helps with his younger siblings (we also have an 11mo). All 4 of them have the same chores with expectations related to their age and abilities (ie the 5yo only uses baby wipes to clean the bathroom and I don't expect things to be even close to perfect). They start having set chores at 3 and help clean up as soon as they can walk.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Oh, and no allowance (except for helping with yard work). They clean up because they are the ones making the mess, not me. I know I don't throw their clothes and toys all over their room and the rest of the house and I'm not cleaning it up. I'm not their maid or their slave.
    Like I tell them, I don't get paid to clean up after myself. They do it because it's their responsibility and because they are part of the household and it's everyone's job to take care of the house and each other.
    If they want to earn money I find extra chores to do, things that are harder or require more work like washing windows or walls.
    Also the oldest 2 kids know how to do laundry full from start to finish. They learned at 7 1/2 and 9 and did their own laundry for a full year so they could understand how much work is involved.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• The answer to this question depends alot on the social sphere you live in and aspire your child to live in. Parents structure their children's lives in many many different ways depending on their goals for their children. Most U.S. middle class families share in household responsibilities and a 9 year old would be expected to set the table for dinner, take out the trash and make his or her bed. In other cultures where parents value academic achievement a 9 year-olds time might be spent exclusively engaging in tasks that increase scholarly, musical, artistic, and physical skills. A maid might be hired to do the grunt work because the parent doesn't see that work as important for the child's adult life. I would say that every child ought to know how to make a bed, take out the trash and set a table, but whether this is a part of their daily routine is a matter of choice for each family.
    SecondMom59

Answer by SecondMom59 at 9:12 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I think 9 is a tad to young. Maybe take the trash out. I hope you are not that lazy and pawning off all of your work on your kid.
    surfgrl60

Answer by surfgrl60 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 18, 2011