Why must it be in EVERY aspect of your life?

I have a Christian friend who has the Christian element in the music he listens to(ONLY Christian music),books he reads,clothing he wears,people he associates with...the list goes on.
Why must EVERYTHING he does have to be about Christ?
Couldn't these folks at least once live outside the box and relax a bit? The devil isn't going to sneak in if you listen to music not done by a devout Christian!
Are they that afraid?
I have faith but it doesn't rule my life!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 8:53 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Religious Debate

• – collapse
    I agree with SecondMom59. He is fighting his weaknesses by injecting them with religious opium. This is how some people need to do it (yes, that's coming from me!). Religion is the refuge of weak minds. He is living it 24/7, bombarding and brainwashing himself with it, to keep the ugliness of reality from getting in. Whether it's alcohol, or drugs, or sex, he has something he is fighting and that he THINKS he has the cure for. He will have to find out, on his own, that he cannot shut out reality nor his own negative compulsions. It might be a good time to back off. It is human nature to have to find things out the hard way, rather than learn something from older and wiser people.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:45 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Every thing in extremes is bad......

Answer by older at 9:12 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Your questions shows that you don't have faith in your friend's spritual journey. Your friend could indeed be fearful and if he s/he is, isn't that something you'd want to try to understand rather than judge or condemn? Some folks need external support when they lack internal moral support. Perhaps his/her upbringing left him susceptible to something that he or she wants to avoid and the only way to avoid it seems to be to change the environment lived in. I doubt if ths will last a life time but for now it is working and is kind of like going to AA when one has a drinking problem. I'd say your friend is trying to grow and that can only be a good thing.
    SecondMom59

Answer by SecondMom59 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Your right. There are other forms of good music and uplifting entertainment. But I also know that most of the music out there is inundated with sexually suggestive references and jokes. Instead of talking about the love you share with a wife/husband they're talking about how many people they did it with over the weekend before school on Monday! Do you really hear your music or realize what your watching? Every body's standards are different, but turn off the TV for 6 months then turn it back on. You would be FLOORED at the content in even a PG movie! It makes me sad that we make light of subjects. These things are glamorized. When you participate in activities, listen to music, or watch shows that make light of things like that, you become numb to what respect those subjects should be given. Banging your friend or smoking weed is common place and the consequences are never discussed. STDs, killing people because your DUI .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Plz do not b offended. God has always intended on everyone to b saved. But people perish for lack of knowledge. Getting to know Christ is to gain ever lasting life. When Christ die He gave his all. Every ounce of blood, flesh and breath for us to b saved. If he gave all WE should give all as well. When u start to grow spiritually u experience things only Christ can give. And im not talking about emotions. No His omni- presence. I just recently learnd that Christ will FOREVER have those scars. A reminder of LOVE.
    Autiziumom

Answer by Autiziumom at 9:09 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Why are YOU being intolerant? Why are YOU making a judgement? I am asking this kindly..not snarkily! Your friend's walk with the Lord is just different than your own or someone elses. My Mom is like your friend, my sisters and I are "looser". It would never occur to me to bash her for it..in fact I sort of admire it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:28 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• dang..can't win for losing, can he? (de ja vu..i'm sure i said that yesterday in another post)..i suppose he could always 'cherry-pick' how he believes or behaves. its his choice to live as he wants to. did you ever think that maybe he's wondered why you chose the path or 'faith' you chose..or why you're not as deeply 'elemented' as he is? why no..that would be him judging you! and that's just not right.
    really, its NOYB how he chooses to dress or what he chooses to listen to. is he forcing you to wear xtian tshirts or getting rid of your music cds and making you watch kirk cameron movies? maybe you need to ask yourself why his lifestyle bothers you so much.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:40 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• If it makes him happy and feel closer to his God....why do you even care?
    Sounds like he wants to give every aspect of his life over to his God....that's his choice. It's his option, it's his right and freedom to do so.
    Where's the tolerance?
    Everyone else wants tolerance today in this country and around the world. It sounds like this;: Be tolerant of others...let them be WHO they are , let them be WHAT they are, let them EXPRESS themselves the way they want...Be tolerant of Muslims, Be tolerant of Gays & Lesbians and on and on.......but let a Christian make a certain choice about ALL of his music and there's something WRONG with this??? Where's the tolerance everyone is screaming for? Be Tolerant of EVERYONE!!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 9:28 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• If your faith doesn't rule your life, what does? Just curious. This question makes me sad for your friend. The fact you are annoyed with his choice to have his life be Christ-filled....and this bothers you....wow.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• some people feel they'll stumble if they expose themselves to secular things...some don't. I"m Christian but I personally don't like a lot of the Christian music. Yeah some people do go to extremes on anything. Not just religion
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 9:29 AM on Jun. 18, 2011