Need advice on helping my LO sleep longer than 2-3 hrs. at a time!

Has anyone used a sleep method other than CIO that has worked?

My LO is going on 12 mo., has stopped nursing, and after her bedtime bottle (8:30) is given another around 3 or 4AM depending when she wakes......the problem is she pretty much wakes nightly at 11, 1, 3, and 5 then up for the day around 7:30. Needless to say we are both exhausted. Most of the time I can just walk in and put her paci back in or pick her up briefly then lay her back down....but when she wakes, she stands up in the crib and cries.....loudly.

I need something I am comfortable with to help her sleep longer, for both of us. At this point I feel like her waking is basically a habit! How do I break it? Any suggestions? Please just sleep methods only.....we have our naps and bedtime routines down...no problems there :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Go check out Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution.

HOWEVER, be aware that this may be her normal. I wake up every 2-3 hours at nearly 48 years old, and have all my life. I learned to not need a parent for going back to sleep at around age 2-3, when I could turn on my own light and look at books or play with my dolls till I was ready to sleep again.

My son is the same way at nearly 12 years old.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Thank you so much! I have never heard of her but am def. reading the book now1
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I really liked "Good Night, Sleep Tight". It's a very gentle sleep training program. I like "the no-cry sleep solution", it just didn't work well for us. =) Dr. Jay Gordon also has a great article, google his name + "nightweaning". =)
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 3:44 AM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Elizabeth Pantleys book is incredible! We did a variation of that with my son who is now 13 months. At nine months he was up the same, every 2-3 hourse. Something that really helped me was to not pick him up out of the crib when he woke up. I would pat him until he fell asleep and slowly he started to wake up twice a night,, then once, now not at all. It's amazing what a different in him I see! He's happy pretty much all the time and I am too! :)
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2011