Teaching tolerance and intolerance

Don't know who to attribute this to, but, do you see it happening?

"If we continue to teach about tolerance and intolerance instead of good and evil, we will end up with tolerance of evil."

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 10:08 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• cool..I think that says it all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Good and evil are way separate from tolerance and intolerance, and no I do not see this happening.....

Answer by older at 10:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• that's bull!
    i guess it would depend on the definition of evil for each individual. I consider terrorism,murder,and domestic violence evil,but someone else might consider all non- christians evil,so who knows?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I don't teach my kids tolerance because the very meaning of the word is counter productive. We teach them acceptanece. As in, I accept you as a person and love you but I can not accept your behavior, you need to talk to me when you realize what you did is wrong.

I do not tolerate lying, cheating , or stealing. I accept my father for who he is, But I will not visit him when I know he is doing something wrong or he is in jail.

I think a lot has to be said, that they aren't allowed around people who classify things as white, black, gay, or retarded. I will explain to the person once why they don't need to be saying that around my kids, after that, if they do it again, we leave and I don't bring them back until the person can promise they will monitor themselves around my kids.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 10:54 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Totally agree. Tolerance alone continues to be touted as a virtue; it is not (in and of itself). It doesn't matter how tolerant you are but what you are tolerant of. Many seem to automatically assume tolerance is good and discrimination with bad when neither of these words have any inherent moral bearing. It's all about the context in which these words are used.

TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I think we should teach respect, that will cover everything.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:27 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I teach tolerance to my son. Tolerance is being kind and respectful to those you disagree with. You don't have to accept their behavior and can share your disgreement with them but it should be done in a respectful way. If we all agreed it would be very boring.
    Anonymous

• Based on some of the answers in the Burqa question and the question about Goshen College yesterday, some women around here would be rather miserable if there wasn't tolerance of evil. Nobody would put up with them anymore.

But go ahead -define evil. Since this is in terms of "tolerance", obviously in this context, evil means Muslim, gay or otherwise non-mainstream Christian. Or does it really mean "anyone not like you" where "you" is whoever is agreeing with the quote? Because yesterday we saw hate spewed at an ultra-conservative private Christian school for making a decision that was supported by their students and alumni (who are primarily members of that church). And it wasn't a decision to discriminate against anyone or harm anyone, it was a decision to play a different song that all the judgmental, oops sorry, good, people thought they should be forced to play. Who is "evil" again?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Who is "evil" again?

I did not define evil. I just posed the question for thought.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I think we have gone too far with tolerance so as not to hurt someone's feelings. Instead of telling people what they are doing is wrong, we have been taught to "tolerate" what they are doing instead.I think it does a disservice to both sides. People are not called out for doing things they shouldn't be doing, and people that stand up for doing things the right way are made to feel like they are the ones doing something wrong.

I agree with cueballsmom. To me it's a "hate the sin, but love the sinner" sort of thing.

DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 5:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2011