Dreaded "potty training"

My son is 2 years and 7 months. He is ready for a potty training...and I HAVE to get it "finished" before September comes...because he'll be in preschool.....Now he tells me when he needs to "pee-pee" it's the #2 that we have a problem. I tried different things...but I don't want to force it because I KNOW it can backfire..... Any advice or your personal experience would be appreciated.

To answer some of the question....My son CAN tell me when hes ready to pee so I sit him on the toilet and he goes. But he fights me when I ask him if he can go # 2 on the toilet. He just completely refuses. A lot of times he doesn't even let me change his diaper and other times he tells me he pooped and "demand" to be changed. I would let him go without a diaper BUT his poop (SORRY TMI) is very soft and messy. I've tried putting training underwear and it was bad....... I had to just throw the undies away.

MommyOK

Asked by MommyOK at 10:32 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in General Parenting

• im confused.. so he is potty trained.. but ur issue is that he says he has to go pee pee when in reality its poop that he has to do...??
    kp0469

Answer by kp0469 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• i wish my 2yr 7mon son was ready to potty train his dad and i are fighting over it
    jenn660

Answer by jenn660 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• how are you potty training him? what i do for my kids is just don't give them pants or underwear and let them run around bare bottom. i keep the light on and the door open to the bathroom all the time so they will have access to the potty. i explain to them that if they make a mess they will clean it up, then follow through with that. i have potty trained 3 boys that way...it only takes about a week, to get it down, then they earn their underwear and practice going with them, pulling them up and down, then last they get their pants and practice with those for a week. after that they're officially a 'big kid' and we have a party. it really works well.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• If he poops at a certain time of day take him often during that time and say it's time to try. Stay calm and matter of fact that he now will put his poop in the potty like mom and your SO do. Let him see you both use the toliet. Also, he really needs to learn to recognize the urge to go. You and your SO can also talk about feeling the urge and then talk about needing to go. This is all new to him and he is simply learning a new skill. Have great rewards (from dollar store or something like a treat). GL!!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 11:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I understand u. I traind my autistic sin im ine minth both #1-#2. I think u should go have consistancy. And its wether he likes it or not. I shocked up on alot of wipes. Also disinfecting spray. Its gets messing. Try to b patient. U will sucessed.
    Autiziumom

Answer by Autiziumom at 1:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2011