How much coffee can we drink?

There are so many mixed reviews about how much coffee we can drink.I have been going between half a cup to a full cup daily. I cut back immediately when I found out I was pregnant from my usual 3-4 cups.

spaciestacie12

Asked by spaciestacie12 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Coffee is still being on the tested list as one year it is bad for you, the next it helps with cancer, almost like broccoli. I drink about 2 pots a day and did so with my 4th child. She's now 8 and there isn't a thing wrong with her. No hyperactivity or anything. She's smarter than the others (I think due to me reading aloud when I was pregnant to her and also only home schooling), but what I'm saying is there was no ill effects. The other 3 I didn't drink coffee before them. I did drink a lot of tea, which people do not tell you that there is more caffeine than coffee. Coffee is just not politically correct to drink if pregnant.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:49 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I quit coffee and soda when I was pregnant but I would say that half a cup to a cup a day should be ok.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:58 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• i stoped dinking coffee and tea the day that i discovered i was pergnant ...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy-nutrition/PR00109

Congrats !!
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 11:02 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• you can safely have 150-300 mg of caffiene a day... that number depends on things like how much you drank before...

i drink about 200mg a day...
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 11:09 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• attap, actually the reason that they tell you to limit coffee when you're pregnant has nothing to do with hyperactivity. they found that drinking caffiene during the first trimester greatly increases your risk for miscarriage. keep in mind that decaf has caffiene too, as does black tea, many sodas and chocolate. it's your choice, but i don't drink caffiene when i'm pregnant.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I personally don't think it is worth the risk... just stop for now.. and after you give birth.. you can start again... but if you are breastfeeding.. then wait till you are done with that. I miss coffee so much... but oh well.
    tasha94952

Answer by tasha94952 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I always tried to stay away from it entirely for the first trimester, and then one or two caffeinated beverages a day after that.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:19 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I was told that it was fine in moderation. I was a 2-3 cup a day coffee drinker before getting pregnant in March. I'm talking large cups too. I cute back to 1 cup a day when I found out, and haven't run into any problems. I'm 14 weeks.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 11:57 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• my ob had no problem with my coffee habits,I am a huge coffee drinker. He even allowed during labor,so i would not have any grief from DH or nursing staff he made it an order on my chart. I always drank mine black
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 4:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2011