Mom stressing out

Stressed out over money.. Never seems to be enough these days but i guess thats how most of our country feels now a days.. Im a stay at home mother of two. My husband is in the military and we need some extra cash. Only issue is that where we live daycare is soo expensive so even if i got a job id be pretty much working just to pay for daycare.. plus my daughter is still very young and id like to stay home with you for a little longer.. My husband is a marine recruiter and works anywhere between 4-8am - 6-9pm so his hours are long and leaves me no room to switch off with him and go to work at night.. his only day off a week is on sundays.. unfortunitly in the military your not paid by the hour so all these hours he puts in means nothing.. its the same amount of pay.. I just dont kow if anyone will want to hire a out of work stay at home mom who is only free to work on sundays.. Any ideas?? I thought about babysitting since im home anyways.. i tried sittercity.com but that was no help.. there are like 20 people needing sitters in my area and over 5000 sitters available lol

kp0469

Asked by kp0469 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Money & Work

• Sundays only huh? YOu might want to check church daycares. They're always needing someone to work a couple hours on Sunday and most are sure willing to pay.
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 11:14 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I know how you are feeling. My husband works 18 hour days and it makes it really hard to try and figure out a time I could work outside the home. I am not a 3rd shift person. Are there any expenses you can cut back on? We got rid of cable and use Netflix and got an HD converter. That is an extra $100-$200 per month. When my babies were young..I used clothe diapers during the day...saved a ton of $$... I save on utilities. I love being frugal.
    I have earned income at home and got all of our personal care and home care items paid for with money in my pocket to pay for the extra things. Maybe you can find something.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:16 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Along with sittercity you might try care.com. I got my two part time jobs at these sites. Yes, I applied to tons and it took some time, but I now have two nice jobs with sweet babies. GL!!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 11:23 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• You sound exactly like me! My husband I air force. There is no way to work a schedule out with him and we have two kids. Have you looked into Scentsy? A lot of my team are military spouses. I started Scentsy when my husband was deployed. Send me a pm if your interested or check out www.wickleswithnickless.com.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 11:41 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Can you tutor or are you skilled in anything like typing or sewing?
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 11:42 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Have you thought about doing a direct sales business like Avon, Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, Tastefully Simple.....? With most of those you can set your own hours and book parties for times/days that work for you. Other idas- sell stuff on ebay, make crafts and sell them at online craft sites, could you give music lessons, be a tutor, or have a special hobby that you could teach?
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• The only thing I can think of is doing daycare. I know how you feel about paying daycare and not bringing anything home. I am thankful I am able to work from home for a local company. I would never be able to work outside the house / pay for daycare and still bring money home...
    OctMommyof3

Answer by OctMommyof3 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I wish I could help you. I am able and available to work and have worked for over 30 years as a secretary and can't seem to find any work, not even temporary. Fortunately, my husband makes just enough to keep us afloat. My oldest son is working and doesn't have a problem with us using his money, but I feel bad, I want to make it on our own.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Thanks everyone. I feel better at least knowing im not the only mom out there stressed a little over money. I'll have to try the other sitting sites and i never thought about trying a church daycare!! thats a new idea!! Thanks! & i thought about sellign Avon or somethign along those lines but idk how well id be in sales. We dont live near a military base at the moment because my husband is recruiting.. back when we lived near the bases military wives had parties all the time for "passion parties" "scentsy" "pure romance parties" but around here we dont have a bunch of military moms around.. not too many women to make friends with.. im a 22 yr old mom and most of the moms in my area ive met at parks that have kids are all in their 40s and not interested in becoming friends with me lol They only people i could think of selling to is my family.. so thats one party lol plus dont those companies... make u pay a starters fee?
    kp0469

Comment by kp0469 (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I work from home, my business doesn't require all that many hours a day & is flexible. I would like to help you, if you would like more details please contact me. I would help you through learning curve & other training is provided online to you as well.
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 6:19 PM on Jun. 18, 2011