I just got blasted by friends and family cuz my DD knows what daddy's pee-pee looks like! Who do you think is right?

My DD is 2 1/2. She takes baths with daddy at times, she also takes baths with her older brother, 7, (he has autism and does not understand sexual differences)

When she points to a penis and asks about it we explain to her that it is dada's pee pee or Elijah's pee pee.

Anyway, at a recent function, she pointed to something phallic shaped and said "Dada's pee pee"

Instantly people started asking me if she ever sees my husband (her daddy naked) I said "Of course" thinking that it was normal. Apparently it is not?!?!

Who do you think is right???

superclutz

Asked by superclutz at 11:23 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Some families are very open about nakedness and human physiology, and some are not. Obviously, the posters in this group are on both sides of the issue. The important thing is for you and your DH to discuss this issue, and make some ground rules that you both agree on. If she takes a bath with DH now, when will she be too old for that? How will you feel about her seeing other boys at day care or grade school naked? How will you teach her about keeping her body private? As long as you and your DH agree, then there is no issue. However, something even innocent can get you in trouble, these days. One aunt was jumping on the bed with her two nieces, who were both in their underwear, and a neighbor reported her for child sexual abuse! We live in a crazy society.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 6:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Personally, I don't think it's right for him to take a bath with her without at least some shorts or something on. DDs would never see DH naked. I also would never let DS see me naked.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I have a son that is 2 1/2 and he sees my naked. They are just babies! Don't worry about them! GL hun!
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 11:34 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• imo that is normal ....my kids take baths together. it's not a big deal
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I think it's no big deal for her father to not worry about being seen naked by a 2 1/2 year old.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:25 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• i think its alright up until they can talk a lot or start school, but since she pointed it out very easily you might want to cut out the baths together that way whenever she gets bigger she wont be talking about it in preschool or something similar.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:36 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I think it depends on the household- some people are more open others tend to keep private parts private. I think that parents need to realize that everyone has their own style of parenting, and there is no 'right' or 'wrong'. It sounds like your household is an open one, and it is nice that you are upfront and honest with your child about body parts being different. I personally don't see anything wrong with your little ones taking a bath together, or her seeing dad in the buff. When I was little my mom or aunt would put us kids in the tub (boys and girls) and give us all a bath at the same time. we had fun splashing in the tub, and really did not care that some of us had different body parts.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:39 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I think its normal and they are over reacting. My kids use to take baths together all the time
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 11:39 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Totally not a big deal. My 4 y.o. still showers on occasion with either myself or her father or her brother (2 1/2), or by herself as SHE wants to. We also roam around the house in the buff. Naked does not mean sexual...unless you are a perv. Our daughter knows when it is appropriate to wear clothing, the appropriate names to call body parts and what they are for, not to touch other people's bodies or to let other people touch theirs inappropriately and without permission (with the 2 yo, this is still a work in progress). Its your attitude as a parent that makes naked is *wrong*, not being naked in an of itself--entire cultures wander around mostly naked for their entire life, even to this day...and honestly, the few studies that have been done on nudist families demonstrate that their kids have better self esteem and body image than their contemporaries.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 12:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Is it too much to ask if your hubby could put on some swim trunks or something when they bathe?
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2011