Any other single moms who live with family... do you get bossed around all the time?

well lets see, this morning I was trying to feed my toddlers breakfast and ty threw his cheerios all over the floor so I said "ok you can be done" and took him out and put him in the family room and cleaned up the cheerios. yeah my tone was firm because I was insanely frustrated.

when my mom is stressed out and irritated I get hella stressed because I'm afraid if my kids whine she will freak out and complain about it, so I get very stressed when shes like that.

so she proceeded to tell me I needed to back off, and I'm a nazi, I could have just taken the cheerios and given him something else. and then that its my tone, and how I say things. I'm like, well you use a tone sometimes too so dont act like i'm the only person in the world that ever gets frustrated. sorry, IMO I'm allowed to get frustrated sometimes- natural human emotion-

So she takes over feeding them breakfast, giving them whatever she thinks they should eat. they've been eating cinnomin toast for breakfast for the past 9 months because she makes it and gives it to them. (sometimes I'm not home for breakfast though, because I have been taking morning classes all year and she babysits them for me) I would really rather they didn't eat sugar for breakfast but I feel like I can't change it because she will critiize me (when I tried to give them cottage cheese for the first time, they thought it was yogurt so right away decided they didnt like it and cried for a few minutes-then finally ate it but the whole time she was bitching that I should give them something they will actually instead of that "crap")

I can't move out right now for a lot of reasons, mainly because I can't afford it. secondly because i feel like if i tried to even bring up moving out it would turn into a big fight, its like she wants me here but she doesn't want me here. if i got an apartment and said i was moving out she would freak out and I really think I would have to call the cops so I culd be able to take my stuff but since its her house Im afraid that i wouldn't be able to take anything out of it
but its like, I need some of it, like my kids clothes, beds, my clothes, my safe,
plus if i move out without her support she will take my car. its in her name, the loan is in her name, i just give her $300 cash for it every month for the payment (this started when i was 17-if i had known then what i know now I never would have agreed to the arrangement)
idk if I could handle two toddlers without a car... i know its possible but, idk

idk i'm just sick of being told what to do like, I'm 12 and I need direction as to how to raise my kids. she wont just let me fucking BE.

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:44 AM on Jun. 18, 2011 in Relationships

• My parents offered to let me move into the 3rd floor of their house when my ex and I divorced. This is exactly the reason I was determined to do it on my own! Not that my parents are like that, I love them, but I was afraid they would unknowingly undermine my parenting. There's housing assistance, food stamps, daycare assistance, WIC, etc. It can be done.

Answer by missanc at 11:49 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• Work on getting your own place but for now be grateful you have a place and your Mom to be there when you need her
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2011

• the most important thing I will say is DON'T GET STRESSED OUT!!! I have Been HORRIBLE stressed lately and lemme tell you..my daughter feeds off of it...I feel so terrible, but the little ones are so very sensitive to it...don't worry about stuff like whining, etc....your mom is a mom too and knows that's what happens. I wuold be thankful that I have a place to stay and help with my little one..Im married and thankful for my mom living in the same city!!! Imagine if you didn't have help!! Sometimes we can't always see it when we're living it, but trust me, it's much nicer having family around.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2011